Transfering tails to pins...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfering tails to pins...

What do you folks use to transfer the tails onto the pin board? (Or vise versa if you're a pins first person)?

I've been using a scratch awl, but it's not ideal.

Thinking that a marking knife would be better, but would like to know if anyone has a preference on a good knife for this purpose? (I generally prefer wood in the cherry/walnut hardness range, but sometimes harder (maple)).

Thanks!
    -Jeff

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

• Thread Continues Below...

Re: Transfering tails to pins...

A mechanical pencil can work very well as long as there is room.. On thicker wood or tight openings, a longer blade on a marking knife is better. Lee Valley sells a long blade marking knife
    05D20.05
    . I have had challenges with the regular Lee Valley wooden handle marking knife
    50D01.01
    on 3./4 material and tight openings. Or you can make one from a paring knife, Paul Sellers has a good video on making one on youtube. Careful, he can be addictive.... BW
    JimPTBO and carbonBased like this.

Comment

I use a thin bladed knife similar to the first one Bob mentioned, then use pencil to enhance the scribe line.
      carbonBased likes this.

Comment

One of those x-acto knives is ideal. They're only a couple of dollars at a craft shop.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayak Jim View Post
          I use a thin bladed knife similar to the first one Bob mentioned, then use pencil to enhance the scribe line.
          This is what I do as well.
          I didn't find that knife on my initial search; will have to take a look.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Comment

I started out using X-Acto knives since I have quite a collection after 55 years of model aeroplane building and, of course, a variety of pencils and pens to accomplish this seeming simple task. Now I use the following knives:

except that mine is the older Veritas branded one;

which I bought when they were first introduced because they have a thinner blade than the one in the first picture; and/or

the #8 (letter E) or the #2 (letter A) chip carving knives. These knives all do a very good job of transferring pin/tail marks because they have flat sides to index against the already cut piece. The #8 is particularly adept at fitting into really small dovetails and other fine joinery. I do not recommend X-Acto blades or Warren carving blades as they are double bevel ground (like most knives) and therefore introduce an offset into the marking process. I for one need no extra help in mis-aligning small joints!

If I did not already own so many marking knives for the purpose, I would strongly consider the Czeck Edge Kerf Kadet knife with the carbide blade; it is very well made. (I made a rosewood and brass version of my own from a carbide scraper blade; it does not require honing very often and it handles like a pencil)

(Tool junkies usually have more than one way to do things!

Ken

Comment

I also use the top one in your pics and it is the Veritas also.

Comment

I use ROb Cosman's method of offsetting the tailboard slightly and making a cut to register the saw blade. I use a saw blade in my OLFA knife ($10 at LV) for this job. Works extremely well for me. Here's an example of a trial fit right off the saw. Final trimming was minimal.
                The difference between a master and a beginner: The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.

Comment

I developed a method using blue tape for visibility several years ago. It works superbly.

Half-blind dovetails: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furnitu...hBlueTape.html

Through dovetails: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furnitu...ovetails3.html

Regards from Perth, Australia

​​​​​​​Derek

Comment

I use green painter's tape on woods where the scratch lines are hard to see and, if I recall correctly, I might have gotten the notion from some chap in Perth! (DC)

Ken
                    derekcohen likes this.

Comment

Another one using the tape method (also green) and an olfa knife with the blade stuck way out to cut the tape. Works beautifully.
                      derekcohen likes this.

Comment

Working...
                      X