Can You Tell Me About These Planes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can You Tell Me About These Planes?

These were in a box of stuff I inherited from my grandfather. I forgot about them! Can anyone tell me about what I have here?

Thanks!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190429_1426249.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	1.94 MB
ID:	1235221Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190429_1425555.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	2.79 MB
ID:	1235222
    KenL, Frank D. and nnieman like this.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Can You Tell Me About These Planes?

Looks like you've got a block plane, a smoother, and two jack planes. Looks like they should all be good users. The Stanleys and the Record will most likely be better planes than the footprint. Nice to have tools passed down in the family.
    nnieman and Kayak Jim like this.

Comment

The fact that they belonged to your grandfather makes me think,keep them,use them,enjoy some memories while making shavings

Comment

Very nice planes! The Footprint looks like it was made when Footprint actually made really good planes.

Great when memory and use coincide.
        Frank
        SPCHT

Comment

Nice planes The record Smoother has the Stay Set cap iron which allows sharpening a few times without removing . The no 5 has the kidney shaped lever cap
          making it later than 1933 but one needs to see the frog and other detail to know how much later than that. The block plane looks like a 120 probably later than 1960
          The footprint I can contribute nothing except to reiterate, that their early tools were ok, but became very poor and this one looks early . In a nutshell all worth keeping and using not just for sentimental reasons though they are often very rewarding. I have some planes that I derive great pleasure from using for that reason alone

Comment

And it helps that they are in very nice condition, everytime I look or use my dads old plane i think of him.
            • “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”Winston Churchill

Comment

That is a nice collection of good, usable planes that appear to have been well cared for. I am not a fan of that form of Stanley block plane but, since it was your Grandfather's, it has a place alongside of the others.

Thanks for sharing the pictures with us.

Ken

Comment

Stanley planes:

http://hyperkitten.com/tools/stanley_bench_plane/

Record planes:

http://www.recordhandplanes.com/dating.html
                More stuff of mine at:
                http://watertoneworkshop.blogspot.ca/

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5...xPoVDV61AxUdUA

Comment

Yes, decent tools. I have a Record No 5 which, apart from an engineers vice, is the only tool I inherited from my father. I tidied it up and fitted a Japanese laminated blade and use it often. I have some very high end planes but Dad's old Record sits in a holder above my bench and is still my go to plane when I want to swish a few shavings. Wouldn't part with it for anything.

Jim

Comment

To me, the Record would be the pick of the bunch. It has the older frog (1930s-50s) which indicates it's from the period when quality was important to the company. And like Jay says, it has the nice heavy stay set cap-iron (which you will either love, or hate - no half measures ). When removing the irons for honing/sharpening, grip the irons along the sides between your thumb and middle/ring finger, and rest your fore finger on the 'deflector' - this prevents the deflector from dropping into the sawdust.

Next is the Stanley No.5. Although not as old as the Record, it too has the top edge of the sides machined - an indication that it's from an early-ish period of production. Is it Canadian, US or English?

I know nothing about Footprint planes - but the ribbing suggests it's mid-1960s or newer. Set it up as a jack plane and it won't matter if the quality is a bit rough.

Cheers, Vann.
                    Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.

Comment

They are in great condition enjoy using them

Comment

Working...
                      X