Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Record Planes

Hi everyone,
    I recently purchased some hand tools a few weeks ago. I haven't had the opportunity to really look them over or find anything about some of them. I know that older Stanley planes are much more highly regarded than new ones, but I don't know anything about Record planes. I have a 077 and 073, which Google tells me is a "shoulder" and "bullnose" planes. Can anyone fill me in on worth/value of these? Are they quality planes?
    Attached Files
    smallerstick likes this.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Record Planes

Those are both great planes. I have the Lie Nielsen version of the 073. Record made a lot more of those than LN, so QC was harder for them to do. It's a good idea to check the squareness of the sole to the sides, as well as the flatness of the sole, the sides, and of the bed. If everything is good you have a top-quality plane. Some people find the plane difficult to hold, but I rest my pointed index finger over the nose of the plane, place the lever cap extension/handle in my palm. and hold the sides of the plane with my other fingers/thumb. It works well for me, and I have medium-sized hands. All this goes for the bullnose plane as well. I'd be extremely happy with those two planes. No idea of the market value, however.
    Last edited by Frank D.; 05-08-2019, 09:27 AM.
    Darrell and RobDunham like this.
    Frank
    SPCHT

Comment

Thanks, Frank. That's great to hear!

Comment

In immaculate condition I would pay $175 -$200 CDN for the 073 and the 077 max $120 (top prices if box is included) i have an 077 that i use and my 073 is an unused /mint collector item . If the decals are there that too adds value.

Comment

I agree, these are great planes. More common over here where they were made but still in demand. I have a number of Record planes and all are very good.

Jim
          RobDunham likes this.

Comment

Working...
          X