My new wooden mallet!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new wooden mallet!

Recently, I broke the handle of my mallet so I decided to make another one a little bit bigger and heavier from one piece of ash I had left.

I know that we usually make the hitting surface of end grain, but I didn't... I wanted to make it in one piece like my carving mallets. For 30 minutes of pleasant work, I don't mind if I have to do it again in a couple of years! ;)

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3714.jpg Views:	1 Size:	952.7 KB ID:	1237094Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4006.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.10 MB ID:	1237095Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4010.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.89 MB ID:	1237096Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4005.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.18 MB ID:	1237097Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4009.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.91 MB ID:	1237098
    Beaverfever1988, redlee and 2 others like this.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: My new wooden mallet!

The mallet looks good but I do not understand why you did not just make a new handle for the existing mallet from your piece of ash? Side grain ash will splinter pretty easily in that application.

Ken

Comment

Honestly Ken, just for the fun of making it...! First, I wanted one a little bigger and heavier like I said and I'll repair the other one anyway. One of my carving mallet (a round one) is made like that and it does splinter. But it haven't change its usability.

But you're right and I'll make the next one the right way.

Comment

Looks good.

Last winter I also made several mallets. Not as nice as yours though.
        Egon
        from
        The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

I have turned several carver's mallets from hard maple (one piece) and purple heart (one with a dogwood handle and the other with an oak handle) and the side grain han't been much of an issue in these dense woods. There is nothing wrong with your mallet and you can always turn it into a handle for another mallet once it becomes ratty from use!

It is an interesting thing to see what one can make from the scrap bin; there are lots of wonders buried in the off-cuts.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Ken
          Jackmaya likes this.

Comment

Working...
          X