• Show
Clear All

Re: Is this what I think it is?

Nice!

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

So hereís the story behind this plane.

as a hobby I buy lathes fix them and usually convert to electronic variable speed. This day I drove almost 4 hrs from home to pick up a lathe. When I had finished picking up the lathe which ended up not being in quite as good condition as I had hoped I asked the guy what else he had for sale. He asked me what I was interested in and I said hand tools mostly. We went to the back of the garage and on a dusty dirty shelve he said he had some planes. There were 4 or 5 on the shelve. Pretty much junky planes some missing parts and not in great condition. I asked how much for the planes and he said they were all the same price. Next to a junky block plane I found this one. Not really knowing what it was picked up this plane. It looked unusual since I have never seen one or really knew anything about them. I originally thought it was no 2 or 3 size since I had never seen either. It was dusty dirty and none of the plane looked like they were ever being used. None were set up or sharpened enough to be used. I paid the guy his asking price and went home. On the way home I kept looking at the plane trying to figure out what it was. When I couldnít find any markings or numbers and lack of lateral adjuster I thought it was probably some kind of junky plane not a real Stanley. Then I started googling only to find out a No.1 does not have any of these features. I still didnít believe it could be the real thing.

I guess now it probably is. Too bad the casting is cracked but I still got an amazing find. Donít know what Iím going to do with it. Iím not going to clean or restore in any way. I may keep to add to my collection or sell it to buy some more LN planes.

Wayne
      Last edited by wayjep; 05-20-2019, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the back story Wayne. I would have a tough time deciding too. #1's even in perfect shape are essentially just shelf ornaments. I'd probably hang on to it since the crack means it wouldn't command top dollar and I don't mind less than perfect examples in my collection.

Comment

I agree with Erik. Leave it as is and enjoy it on the shelf. Too small to be a user and still pretty enough to look at.
          Larry
          KenL likes this.
          www.grandpastreasureschest.com

Comment

Iím thinking a certified welder would be able to fix the crack so the plane would be perfectly usable.
            Egon
            from
            The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Working...
            X