X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Bench Plane

so i sipped at the veritas koolaid and treated myself to a new block plane

my first modern plane, omg, its awesome compared to my old stanley

so im considering a bench plane, i struggle with an elderly millers fall #4 and a national #7 jointer, although jointer does its job nicely

the choices are mind boggling. bevel up, bevel down, low angle, high angle in between angles etc etc

seriously the choices are the low angle bench, #4 smoother, 4 1/2 smoother and the 5 1/4 bench planes, maybe een the loew angle jack. the low angle planes i would add the higher angle blade if needed

suggestions? disregard the price differences, relatively minor in the grander scheme of things
    Last edited by stevem; 05-28-2019, 07:16 PM.
    my shop is a beaver lodge
    steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: New Bench Plane

Originally posted by stevem View Post
    so i sipped at the veritas koolaid and treated myself to a new block plane

my first modern plane, omg, its awesome compared to my old stanley

so im considering a bench plane, i struggle with an elderly millers fall #4 and a national #7 jointer, although jointer does its job nicely

the choices are mind boggling. bevel up, bevel down, low angle, high angle in between angles etc etc

seriously the choices are the low angle bench, #4 smoother, 4 1/2 smoother and the 5 1/4 bench planes, maybe een the loew angle jack. the low angle planes i would add the higher angle blade if needed

suggestions? disregard the price differences, relatively minor in the grander scheme of things
    Did you get the polished or the standard?

I personally prefer the standards, rather than the low angles (nothing against their use / quality) as I much prefer to fettle the planes and I also tend to get better (read thinner / smoother) results after a proper configuration.

Given your choices, I would take the 51/4 bench. It can also be used as a join(t)er plane for smaller work.

Comment

Simple ..... Buy one of everything.
      Problem solved.
      KenL and mikeddd like this.
      • “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”Winston Churchill

Comment

thanks for your input, looking through the website there are even more choices in the bevel up catagory!
        correct me if im wrong, but the big advantage of the bevel up catagory is the ability to change the cutting angle simply by changing the blade

my new LA block plane is the standard model rather than the aerodynamic polished model, i didnt think that aerodynamics would have much of an effect!!
        Last edited by stevem; 05-28-2019, 08:35 PM.
        steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

Comment

Originally posted by stevem View Post
          thanks for your input, looking through the website there are even more choices in the bevel up catagory!
          correct me if im wrong, but the big advantage of the bevel up catagory is the ability to change the cutting angle simply by changing the blade

my new LA block plane is the standard model rather than the aerodynamic polished model, i didnt think that aerodynamics would have much of an effect!!
          It sure looks nice.. but not any more effective, unless you count its effect on your savings.. was just curious.. I have the same block plane.

Yep.. that's one of.. it's also really feel for your own personal work style.. have you considered the Low Angle Jack? It is by most, considered a good first BU plane(as you state with a couple of irons, you get a few planes from it).

One thing I don't like is the inability to adjust it with one hand - eg - I have to stop what I'm doing and loosen, then adjust the cut, then tighten.. I much prefer to be able to give the blade a 1/8th turn whilst planing and see if it catches the shaving I am going for.

That being said, I will reach for my BUPs sometimes, but I most mutter some indecent words and go back to my other planes.

Comment

I would suggest the Low Angle Jack plane with a couple of blades of various angles. My first plane and most used...in any and all circumstances!
            smallerstick likes this.

Comment

low angle jack it is, i also read vic tesolin's comments
              steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

Comment

If you can get to a show where LV has a booth, they usually have a workbench and a bevy of planes to try out. Then you can see for yourself which feels best to you.
                All that being said, once you try using a Sauer & Steiner panel plane you will not care which Veritas plane you get.
                KenL likes this.
                Wood Hoarder, Blade Sharpener, and Occasional Tool User

Comment

Originally posted by Darrell View Post
                  If you can get to a show where LV has a booth, they usually have a workbench and a bevy of planes to try out. Then you can see for yourself which feels best to you.
                  All that being said, once you try using a Sauer & Steiner panel plane you will not care which Veritas plane you get.
                  You don't need to wait for a show. You can try out all the planes at any Lee Valley store.

Comment

I have two Veritas planes. Low angle block, low angle Jack. I love them both. I don't use hand tools very often on a project (with the exception of the block plane I suppose) so I don't have much to compare it to. That said, the low angle Jack is an absolute pleasure to use. I love it.

I have a similar older Stanley #6 that my Dad owned. I refurbished it and it is a great plane as well for side and face grain planing. The LA Jack is equally as good but more versatile (shooting, end grain, etc.)
                    Last edited by Randy in Calgary; 05-29-2019, 11:10 AM.
                    Cheers
                    Randy

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	LA Jack.jpg Views:	1 Size:	42.8 KB ID:	1238823Click image for larger version  Name:	Bailey no 6.JPG Views:	2 Size:	126.0 KB ID:	1238822
                      Last edited by Randy in Calgary; 05-29-2019, 11:15 AM.
                      Cheers
                      Randy

Comment

Interesting dilemma Steve! My personal Veritas journey actually pivoted off of a Record low-angle block plane that I bought from Lee Valley before they started making anything other than the bronze edge-trimming plane. My collection now includes an embarrassment of Veritas and Lee Valley planes! If I were doing it all over again, I would buy the LA jack, the bevel-up smoother and the small bevel-up smoother in that order then augment them with the scrub plane and the various specialty planes that I have of theirs. The different angles of the BU irons do make a difference for smoothing work but I have found that they are less valuable in jointing. I have a couple of the PMV-11 irons and find that they are an improvement over the A2 irons that I own. There are only a couple of O1 tools in my whole collection so I cannot speak to that as an option.

My 2 cents

Ken

Comment

i chose the low angle smoother, most of my handplane work will be small stuff
                          i honed the blade on my waterstone for a microbevel, its a dream to use!

almost effortless, finest shavings and finis ive ever been able to get
                          steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

Comment

Working...
                          X