Lee Valley Little Victor or Squirrel Tail Palm Plane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lee Valley Little Victor or Squirrel Tail Palm Plane

What is the quality like on these two planes?

Lee Valley Little Victor or Squirrel Tail Palm Plane

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...05&cat=1,41182
    http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...65&cat=1,41182

The price point is pretty attractive.
    It says made in Canada, who makes them?

I am considering them or this one from lie neilson
    https://www.lie-nielsen.com/product/...lane?node=4072

Does anyone here use any of them?
    I would love to hear some feedback (or pointed to an alternative if there is one)

Thanks

Nathan
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Lee Valley Little Victor or Squirrel Tail Palm Plane

I have the curved sole squirrel tail and it's a solid performer for it's limited usage. Nice hefty feel and decently thick blade. The mouth is quite wide but that may be unique to the curved model. I've really only used it a few times.

I also have an original Bailey Little Victor that belonged to my grandfather. Tight mouth, thinner blade than the LV, but I'm not about to give it up.

I think a question might be why do you want such a small plane. Is it to do precision work for model making or is it a handy tool for knocking off corners and such. The LV Apron Plane or LN 102 (which I have) would both be better quality that either of the ones you propose, at a higher price of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayak Jim View Post
      I have the curved sole squirrel tail and it's a solid performer for it's limited usage. Nice hefty feel and decently thick blade. The mouth is quite wide but that may be unique to the curved model. I've really only used it a few times.

I also have an original Bailey Little Victor that belonged to my grandfather. Tight mouth, thinner blade than the LV, but I'm not about to give it up.

I think a question might be why do you want such a small plane. Is it to do precision work for model making or is it a handy tool for knocking off corners and such. The LV Apron Plane or LN 102 (which I have) would both be better quality that either of the ones you propose, at a higher price of course.
      Well for small work of course lol
      I have grandpas Stanley low angle block plane & a regular block plane - they get a lot of use.
      I find myself wanting a smaller one for some precision work - mostly small projects for my kids and building guitars.

I like the LN 102 but I have two block planes which do 90% of what I need them to do.
      It would be nice to have something for the other 10%

I am also planning on ordering a curved sole plane if I canít find one on the forum.

Nathan

Comment

Late to the party again but since I have both variants of the LV squirrel-tail planes, I will toss in my 2 cents. They are really well made in Canada. Both were perfectly usable out of the box; nice thick irons, decently sharp and are easily set-up. I use them for box making, toys and model building for the most part. The flat soled one gets a lot of work as a small block plane when I shingle the roofs of my birdhouses and other block plane tasks where my regular sized low-angle block plane is too unwieldy. Suffice it to say that these small planes have impressed themselves into my hobby wood shop in a BIG way!

The Little-Victor reproduction would be a bit redundant for me since I have several miniature planes already so I cannot comment on its utility. The build quality is the same as the other ones.

Ken
        nnieman likes this.

Comment

I have the LN squirrel tail plane, won it as a door prize at a LN event some years ago. Works well for small tasks and tight spots where a block plane cannot go.
          nnieman likes this.
          Erik

Canada's Island Paradise - Prince Edward Island

Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club

Comment

Hereís what Iím working on.

I have the little Stanley plane that surprisingly works okay.
            I added some mahogany & turned into an infill but itís absolute junk.
            Sheet metal sides and the blade is very thin.

Nathan
            Attached Files

Comment

The LV squirrel tail plane would be a night into day improvement over what you showed! I restored an old version of one of those for a gentleman who wanted it as a keepsake from his father but he had to promise not to use it before I went to the effort! On the other hand, I would not let anyone out of my shop with the LV squirrel tail planes; I like them that much!

Nice project BTW!

Ken
              nnieman likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by KenL View Post
                The LV squirrel tail plane would be a night into day improvement over what you showed! I restored an old version of one of those for a gentleman who wanted it as a keepsake from his father but he had to promise not to use it before I went to the effort! On the other hand, I would not let anyone out of my shop with the LV squirrel tail planes; I like them that much!

Nice project BTW!

Ken
                Thanks!

My first carved top!

Nathan

Comment

Hey Nathan, It's pretty easy to make a little finger plane. Basically a Krenov design in miniature. You can shape the bottom to any profile you like. And make it as long as you want.

https://fixitwithshading.com/2015/11...making-part-1/

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTools/index.html
                  KenL, nnieman and like this.

Comment

Here's one I built with scraps from around the shop...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1161.JPG
Views:	279
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	1242355Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1162.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	1242356Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1163.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	1242357

Comment

Thatís a great idea Sean thanks!

I was hoping you would see this.
                      Have you been doing carved tops or mostly flattops?

Where do you get blades from?

Nathan

Comment

Mostly flat tops but I use that for carving the braces. The blades are from Lee Valley, one of the replacement blades. I used the block plane replacement blade. It's 1/2" wide.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...32&cat=1,41182

But I have also seen a couple of threads where people make their own blades out of tool steel and harden the blades themselves. I don't have the metal working skills to do that....

Quite a bit cheaper (not counting your time) than purchasing.

On the other hand, if you are going to do more of this, it might make sense to look at actual instrument makers planes,

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...80&cat=1,41182

I know a person who swears by these. All hand carving done by these and well shaped scrapers.

Your top looks gorgeous! Are you doing the mortice neck joint or fitting a bolt-on? (sorry, I don't mean to derail the thread)

Comment

I guess the one link I sent was pretty useless. Here are a couple of other links that I remember looking through:

https://www.instructables.com/id/Wooden-Thumb-Plane/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwyKe3iOb8Y

Comment

Originally posted by SeanB01 View Post
                            Mostly flat tops but I use that for carving the braces. The blades are from Lee Valley, one of the replacement blades. I used the block plane replacement blade. It's 1/2" wide.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...32&cat=1,41182

But I have also seen a couple of threads where people make their own blades out of tool steel and harden the blades themselves. I don't have the metal working skills to do that....

Quite a bit cheaper (not counting your time) than purchasing.

On the other hand, if you are going to do more of this, it might make sense to look at actual instrument makers planes,

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...80&cat=1,41182

I know a person who swears by these. All hand carving done by these and well shaped scrapers.

Your top looks gorgeous! Are you doing the mortice neck joint or fitting a bolt-on? (sorry, I don't mean to derail the thread)

Bolt on neck

Theres a lot of new skills for me in the project so Iím sticking with a bolt on.
                            Semi hollow body (or heavily chambered) with top binding.
                            Old maple top (from my stash) over a very light South African mahogany body.
                            The body shape is a gretsch duo jet.
                            i plan on attempting a hand rubbed burst.

Neck is torrified maple with a vintage style 1 way truss rod.(curved slot).

Nathan
                            Attached Files

Comment

Wow, sounds awesome! I look forward to seeing the finished product.

Comment

Working...
                              X