Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veritas Router Plane vs Stanley 71

Hi all,

I'm debating between the Veritas Router Plane and the Stanley 71. Although Stanley 71 should be much cheaper than the Veritas, the one I'm looking at right now is in great condition, with original box and parts (fence, 3 cutters). So the sellers wants $160 for it.

Am I better off with the just buying the Veritas new? It'd be $209 with the fence and sharpening tool from Lee Valley.

Thanks,
    Paul
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Veritas Router Plane vs Stanley 71

I have the Veritas, used it a lot and can say that LV has the details right. The plane is easy to adjust and holds settings consistently. Changing cutters is a breeze too. The older Stanley is a good tool, the new Veritas design is a much better tool IMO.

Hope that helped

Ken
    paulsz likes this.

Comment

They are very useful planes. If you are buying to use it then definitely the veritas is better. I have both and the veritas is the one I use and the Stanley is more of a collectable to me.

wayne
      paulsz likes this.

Comment

Thank you for the input! The stanley would have been cool given it's age and all. However, I will likely end up with the Veritas given the price is similar (for this Stanley in particular).

Comment

Veritas- you are paying for the tool.
          Stanley - you are paying for the box.

smallerstick likes this.

Comment

I really think you’ll appreciate paying the little extra for the Veritas in this case.
            VIDEOS: www.youtube.com/AWoodworkersLife

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...
            Working...
            X