Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quality of LV chisels with the yellow plastic handles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quality of LV chisels with the yellow plastic handles?

Just wondering about these chisels. How would you compare them to older Marples Sheffield chisels as an example?
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Quality of LV chisels with the yellow plastic handles?

I have a set, they are pretty good for chopping. They have thick side walls, so I wouldn't recommend them for dovetails. I would put them is the same category as the old Marples blue handles. Either set you would be fine with, but I would also recommend getting one or two PM-V11 (or a LN or Berg) for fine paring if that is the kind of woodworking you are into.

Comment

I have an old Marples blue set from the Pleistocene epoch. I got a set of the LV yellow ones used, but never used (i.e. new in the box). I took the time to sharpen them really well and they are my go to chisels for fine work. my Marples are used for rough work. I don't use hand tools a lot, but my perception is the Marples are just as good, just not as pretty and the ugly duckling gets the rough work like scraping and such.

Cheers
      Randy

Comment

The LV chisels are fine for most general bench work, I use mine a lot.
        For paring and dovetails I have old ones, they are very thin and the paring chisels are very long.
        I usually buy old tools and sharpen them, they are shaped better for fine work, and while they are not the new magical PM steels they work fine.
        Wood Hoarder, Blade Sharpener, and Occasional Tool User

Comment

Thanks, I have a set of Ashley Isles chisels for careful work. As luck would have it I found a 4 piece set of old Marples I thought I lost. I'm happy with standard steel. I just can't buy a hundred dollar chisel. I'll pick up a couple of the LV butt chisels for my toolbox after this thread.

Comment

I have a set of the LV butt chisels in my tool bag. I find they’re good for their intended purpose—chopping out a butt hinge mortise on the job site—but too short for just about everything else. I ended up throwing a couple of narex bench chisels in my bag and reach for them almost every time instead.
            tim

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...
            Working...
            X