Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quality of LV chisels with the yellow plastic handles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tim W C
    replied
    I have a set of the LV butt chisels in my tool bag. I find they’re good for their intended purpose—chopping out a butt hinge mortise on the job site—but too short for just about everything else. I ended up throwing a couple of narex bench chisels in my bag and reach for them almost every time instead.
    tim

Leave a comment:

• Canuck Bob
    replied
    Thanks, I have a set of Ashley Isles chisels for careful work. As luck would have it I found a 4 piece set of old Marples I thought I lost. I'm happy with standard steel. I just can't buy a hundred dollar chisel. I'll pick up a couple of the LV butt chisels for my toolbox after this thread.

Leave a comment:

• Darrell
    replied
    The LV chisels are fine for most general bench work, I use mine a lot.
    For paring and dovetails I have old ones, they are very thin and the paring chisels are very long.
    I usually buy old tools and sharpen them, they are shaped better for fine work, and while they are not the new magical PM steels they work fine.

Leave a comment:

• Randy in Calgary
    replied
    I have an old Marples blue set from the Pleistocene epoch. I got a set of the LV yellow ones used, but never used (i.e. new in the box). I took the time to sharpen them really well and they are my go to chisels for fine work. my Marples are used for rough work. I don't use hand tools a lot, but my perception is the Marples are just as good, just not as pretty and the ugly duckling gets the rough work like scraping and such.

Leave a comment:

• Ccelenza
    replied
    I have a set, they are pretty good for chopping. They have thick side walls, so I wouldn't recommend them for dovetails. I would put them is the same category as the old Marples blue handles. Either set you would be fine with, but I would also recommend getting one or two PM-V11 (or a LN or Berg) for fine paring if that is the kind of woodworking you are into.

Leave a comment:

• Quality of LV chisels with the yellow plastic handles?

Just wondering about these chisels. How would you compare them to older Marples Sheffield chisels as an example?
Working...
X