Woodworking Vise Query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woodworking Vise Query

Can anyone tell me or have a picture of how these kind of Vises are mounted ? Must be from below, then you would have to notch the top correct ?
    Thanks Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7078.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	2.06 MB
ID:	1257715 ​​​​​​​ Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7079.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	1257716 ​​​​​​​ Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7083.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	2.17 MB
ID:	1257717 ​​​​​​​ Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7080.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	1257718 ​​​​​​​
    • “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”Winston Churchill
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Woodworking Vise Query

The jaws need wooden faces installed that stick a bit above the metal. A spacer block is installed under the bench top to put the top of the vise jaws flush with the bench top. There should be only minor if any notching required, depending on the thickness of the bench top.

At least that's how I install mine.

Comment

Yes I should have been more specific, I was wondering about the gussets, most vises have none.
      Vise should be flush with the top correct ?
      • “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”Winston Churchill

Comment

In the old days many work benches had a skirting board that would be cut out to surround the vise. Often the vise is inset into the face making it less uncomfortable to work over when not in use Don't forget to add bench dog holes if you install wood facings, and you have to decide if you want the whole thing below top height, much nicer for dealing with big projects if you do not have a work table.

Comment

Yes just chop out the wood until it sits where you want it to sit, don't remove those gussets its easier to chop out the wood.

Comment

Thanks Bob
            Should I use my chainsaw?

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...
            Working...
            X