Another Vise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Vise

Seems to be a common topic lately, but I also recently acquired a new vise to me. A Richards-Wilcox quick release. I don't know anything about it except it was made in London, Ontario where I happen to be from and I don't have a vise at all so thought it was omen I should get it. There is very little information about the company although they appear to be a door manufacturer in Mississauga and have been around since 1912. How they made vises in London in 1913 I am not sure but if anybody has anymore information they would like to share, I would love to hear it. I do not have any where near the skills some of you guys have at restorations and this vise works just fine except for a bit of cleaning, so I am going to just install it and use it. Just thought I would share. Thanks for looking.

• Thread Continues Below...

Re: Another Vise

That is my favourite bench vise! The half nuts fall open with a half turn backwards so you do not need to hold a lever to slide it in and out.
    Rob

Comment

I have 2 of those but, unfortunately both have had their QR devices blazed closed. IMO you are a very fortunate guy to have one fully functional. Cleanup should be easy just remember not to oil the screw. Good idea to just wipe off the dust and enjoy it.
      The difference between a master and a beginner: The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.

Comment

Another nice find.

Comment

Thank you for all the tips. I probably would have oiled it. I did watch a video of a guy taking one apart and once the half nut fell off he was not able to get it back together so definitely not going to do that. I will just use and enjoy. Thanks again.

Mike

Comment

Mine has the "do not oil the screw" cast into the T of the handle.
            The difference between a master and a beginner: The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.

Comment

What is the recommended/appropriate lubricant for the screw? Roy- who has 3 vises that have never been lubricated
              Are you solving the problem, or becoming part of it?

Comment

paraffin wax

Comment

Rob-thanks, Roy
                  Are you solving the problem, or becoming part of it?

Comment

Yes thank you.
                    Mike

Comment

Nice vise, what size are the jaws.

Comment

Thanks Gerry

As this is my first real vise and no nothing about them, I am not 100% sure how to answer your question, but the face is 10" across and 5" tall and it opens a full 10". Hope that answers your question.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by smallerstick View Post
                          Mine has the "do not oil the screw" cast into the T of the handle.
                          Finally got into the shop yesterday and looked again. Mine has the same “do not oil the screw” in the same spot. Thanks again for pointing that out.
                          Mike
                          John@Hamilton and like this.

Comment

Working...
                          X