EC Emmerich Jointer Plane Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EC Emmerich Jointer Plane Restoration

Hello folks, I've recently come into possession of a second hand EC Emmerich jointer plane. Overall, she's a real beauty and I'd like to restore her to her full glory. As you can see from the photos there's mostly cosmetic damage, thinking a light sanding and re-finishing would be sufficient.
    • That brings me to my main question: what would be the appropriate finish to apply? From what I can tell it would appear the original finish is simply a type of polyurethane, but I'd hate to ruin this great tool with the wrong finish. Any experience / suggestions on this front?
    • A secondary question is whether there is any way to reliably age the tool? I believe it to be a somewhat recent model but haven't found any information online or on the tool itself to indicate age, thoughts?
    Thanks very much to everyone!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by savicbo; 02-08-2020, 09:06 PM.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: EC Emmerich Jointer Plane Restoration

I have the same plane but with the "Primus" blade adjustment. In all honesty I wouldn't worry about preserving it in pristine condition, or aging it (apart from using it for 50 or 60 years). Sand the rough spots and touch up as needed with a wiping varnish and put it to work. The tote is extremely uncomfortable and if I didn't have an alternate jointer I'd take a rasp to it. They don't have much of a "following" at least here in North America but it should make a good user and the laminated sole (hornbeam I think, mine is lignum) is cool.

P.S. as far as age goes, the logo on your blade is similar but not identical to the one they show in their latest (2017) online catalog (p.16). If you wanted to pin it down you might contact ECE.

https://ecemmerich.de/en/tool-catalog/
    Last edited by Kayak Jim; 02-08-2020, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Hi Jim, thanks very kindly for the input and ideas, nice to find someone else with a similar tool - though I must admit jealousy over the Lignum Vitae sole on yours! As you mention, not a huge following for these here but after hearing back from some relatives in Germany they suggest this style of plane is very popular abroad. Will indeed have them reach out to ECE (language barrier) regarding the age and in the meantime get to honing the blade!

Comment

If it is only cosmetic, I would touch it, but a very light sanding and a oil finish would be good also, looking a the photos that you show us, she look like a beauty.

Comment

Nice plane! I think that the plane has a sprayed lacquer finish (easy to tell, just try some lacquer thinner/acetone/nail polish remover applied with a Q-Tip in a non-obvious spot to see if it softens n.b. if the finish curls then it is not lacquer) which makes it very easy to touch up as lacquer dissolves itself (well the solvents do the trick) just like shellac so you will not need an overall redo.

A very decent tool to use too if your hands fit the tote reasonably well.

Ken

Comment

Hi Ken, thanks for the pro tip! I was not familiar with that technique for testing and differentiating lacquer from other finishes, will certainly give that a try.

Personally I find the tote fits my hand nicely and I do not experience the discomfort Jim does so I'm excited to give it a try once it's back in shape.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...
            Working...
            X