Building Infill planes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building Infill planes?

Has anyone attempted such a project? Having a couple milling machines at my shop vertical and horizontal. it would make a fun project, I just need a milling dovetail cutter.. I was thinking of using the Veritas plane kit with the Noris adjuster and doing a low angle version. Nothing too fancy.
    Thanks, Mark
    sigpicToday's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Building Infill planes?

I don't have any of that fancy machine stuff, just a hacksaw and some files, but here's mine. OK I did use my belt sander. Brass and Rosewood. Blade is from a small mujingfang smoother. I had a limited amount of brass on hand but still didn't want it too small to comfortably fit my hand, hence the slightly unusual design.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Plane - Brass & Rosewood - 2009 (1)_edited-1_1.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	1270397

And a couple of "in progress" shots.

Name:	Plane - brass parts_edited-1.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	1270395Click image for larger version

Name:	Plane - peened dovetails.JPG
Views:	414
Size:	590.6 KB
ID:	1270396
    Attached Files
    Les Groeller, Beaverfever1988 and 4 others like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayak Jim View Post
      I don't have any of that fancy machine stuff, just a hacksaw and some files, but here's mine. OK I did use my belt sander. Brass and Rosewood. Blade is from a small mujingfang smoother. I had a limited amount of brass on hand but still didn't want it too small to comfortably fit my hand, hence the slightly unusual design.
      Thanks so much for posting Jim, building one of these seems to be very much a personal journey in design and comfort. We will see what mine ends up looking like.

Comment

I built a few from kits, a smoother, block plane and shoulder plane.
        I actually used my post drill to mill the bed and mouth on the little block plane.
        They are decent planes and work well.
        Wood Hoarder, Blade Sharpener, and Occasional Tool User

Comment

Originally posted by Darrell View Post
          I built a few from kits, a smoother, block plane and shoulder plane.
          I actually used my post drill to mill the bed and mouth on the little block plane.
          They are decent planes and work well.
          Darrell, Dod you buy from St James Bay Tool? Seems like a fair deal but I would really like to start from scratch.

Comment

The shoulder plane kit was from Hoosier Tools, the other two were St James Bay kits.
            Wood Hoarder, Blade Sharpener, and Occasional Tool User

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Thats a nice project to build Mark. Always wanted to, never made it to the top of the list. I have many pictures from around the web of some beautiful builds. For someone doing it for the first time the article in ShopNotes Issue No.136 is very instructive and the product is a very nice small plane, even if you want to build something larger the good instructions are not limited to size. If you want the article but have no access I can make up a PDF or post the 8 page images.

Name:	ShopNotes Issue No. 136.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	243.2 KB
ID:	1270644

Comment

Originally posted by Carlosinthesticks View Post
                Thats a nice project to build Mark. Always wanted to, never made it to the top of the list. I have many pictures from around the web of some beautiful builds. For someone doing it for the first time the article in ShopNotes Issue No.136 is very instructive and the product is a very nice small plane, even if you want to build something larger the good instructions are not limited to size. If you want the article but have no access I can make up a PDF or post the 8 page images
                Thanks so much for the offer, i have a design from the home machine shop magazine. I love the infill designs as well and follow Konrad Sauer on instagram and his work is stunning. I have hummed and hawed about this project for a while, but the time has come, prob be a few weeks to get this project off the ground and get the materials.

Comment

Anyone want to build a steel sided infill?

I have 3 sets of laser cut blanks that I would be willing to get rid of. Got them cut when I used to have access to a laser.

They make a 9" long sole, I think they are based on the design seen here:

https://user.xmission.com/~jry/ww/tools/a13/a13.html

I got the bucking blocks, sides, soles throat plate, and a blank for the lever cap.

A mill would make some of the operations a bit easier, but I did one with just files and it wasn't too bad.

Comment

Those are some nice looking planes.

I am at the start of trying to build a low angle bevel up plane with a blade about two inches wide that is made from a leaf spring. So far the blade is almost done and has been shaped by a sanding disc on my RAS. The rest of the plane will be made of wood. Hard Maple & Beach as simple as possible.
                    A couple of pictures showing the leaf spring stock & the blade almost finished.

Name:	321ED26A-EFC1-4DDD-96FD-9600AD276473.jpeg
Views:	294
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	1272272Click image for larger version

Name:	52DA2739-02CE-4F55-BD61-ADCB9265D8EC.jpeg
Views:	277
Size:	1.96 MB
ID:	1272273
                    Egon
                    from
                    The South Shore, Nova Scotia