Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Turning A Sow's Ear Into a Silk Purse

Originally posted by Carlosinthesticks View Post
    Thats great that you have good service out of your clamps. As mentioned at the start of this thread the 48"ers had to much flex in the bars so it was an easy decision to break those down for bar stock and to turn the smaller inferior clamps into superior clamps. In the smaller sizes the modification is as strong and break-proof as any of the other types of clamps I have and with two hand operation far more accurate and easy to use. But I am repeating my self now, cheers.
    And now we are in heated agreement!!

Ken

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by KenL View Post

And now we are in heated agreement!!

Ken
      Now thats boring isn't it. Its more fun when you can take a posters information, change a word or two and use it to argue with the originator. What fun .

Just noticed your in Orleans, do they still have that great used book store on the main drag. Used to take my kids there on a regular basis when I lived in the Ottawa area.

Comment

Carlos

The only independent used book store left in Orleans is Orleans Book Market in Fallingbrook Plaza on Tenth Line. The Friends of the Ottawa Public Library operate another used book store in the Ray Friel Centre next to the library which is also on Tenth Line; the store you referred to closed out when the owner retired a few years ago. My children and I, especially my youngest, were patrons of all three establishments and I still search them for reference books that I just have to have!

Ken

Comment

Yes the one I refer too was on highway 34, south of 17, can't remember the name of 34 where it formed the main drag through Orleans, that was back in the early 90's. Huge collection of books covering a wide subject matter, a few of my shelves came from there and I am sure the kids still have many books from there. Like these.

I was of course more into history, woodworking and metalworking technologies like these.

These

And these.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Metalwork 3.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	1275703Click image for larger version

Name:	Casting Books.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	233.1 KB
ID:	1275704

Name:	More Casting Books.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	228.9 KB
ID:	1275705Click image for larger version

Name:	Blacksmithing.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	1275706

And here is a picture of about 1/8th of the length of built in floor to ceiling shelving to store all my old paper on, sorry for the badly focused picture.

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	1275707

There are no coincidences , Hydro got pissed at me for peeing on them yesterday and bumped the power in the middle of my post, so half the pictures will not expand, takes to long to reload, but don't be shy if someone wants more info on a volume just mention it.

Nothing is real on the internet with out proof and even that can be manipulated, but reality isn't half as much fun.
          ​​​​​

Comment

Looks like a pretty decent collection!

Do you do any casting? I am making a 2 1/2" gauge train based on the Toys and Joys plans but converted to electric power (just got a nice Lionel transformer for it). It is a fun project but I sort of gave up on casting my own brass wheels and was going to machine them/build them up. Buying stock suitable for machining out a set of 6, 2 1/4" driver wheels is a pretty costly proposition (unless I find a chunk of scrap). I ask because there are several books on casting in your pictures so you clearly have an interest. I have the two Workshop Practice series books on backyard foundry but not a lot else at this point.

A bit off topic but what the heck....

Ken

Comment

What you see is a minute representation of my collection, something I have done for most of my life. I picked these out a year ago to post some pictures somewhere else. I didn't get into the really old stufff which is also a very large collection.

Yes I guess I have done a bit of casting and built a couple of different furnaces, an electric furnace back in 1984. Heres a couple of different things I dug out of storage 3 years ago, from that time, when I decided to get back into it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	137.JPG Views:	0 Size:	98.9 KB ID:	1275742

I guess you haven't seen many of my posts. Here's one.

https://forum.canadianwoodworking.co...l-shaper/page2

Here's my current dual fuel propane/used motor oil furnace. Built 3 years ago.

Click image for larger version  Name:	164 (2).JPG Views:	0 Size:	128.2 KB ID:	1275743

Heres the first big project I did after building the new furnace.

Click image for larger version  Name:	68.JPG Views:	0 Size:	133.8 KB ID:	1275744

If you want to get into doing some casting these are the books you need to get started at a hobby level.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Gingery Books.jpg Views:	0 Size:	188.1 KB ID:	1275745

If you don't want to fool around with dirty fuels. This is a nice plan book for a small clean electric furnace, this was my first furnace, I run it in part of my basement shop under the porch of my Thunder Bay home .

Click image for larger version  Name:	CCI03262020.jpg Views:	0 Size:	160.8 KB ID:	1275746

Making the patterns and castings for wheels would be a relatively easy process. If you can get your lathe speed down to 5 or 600 rpm you can even turn aluminum on your wood lath, run the tool rest very close and a firm grip on your tools, go slow.

Edit: Don't worry about off topic I'm the OP and I took it there.
              Last edited by Carlosinthesticks; 03-26-2020, 08:28 PM.

Comment

I just got back to this thread! You are right, I did miss those threads on your Belt sander/grinder but did recall seeing one picture of it. I did not see the thread on that nifty dual fuel furnace; very nice projects.

I have a decent home machining capability with lathe, vertical mill, drill press and metal cutting band saw so that aspect of my train project is well covered. I have made quite a few plugs for fibreglas work and have a number of books on the metal casting process itself that I bought to support the project figuring that other projects could/would come up where the same technology could be put to good use. The furnace for melting brass was/is the biggest hurdle. I will seek out the book on Little Bertha to see if that would be at all feasible for my situation.

Thanks for the help and the push!

Ken

P.S. I just Googled it and found it on Amazon aloong with some other titles of interest that are already in your collection.
                Last edited by KenL; 03-27-2020, 12:36 PM. Reason: Added PS

Comment

Thats great Ken but if your intention is to melt brass Lil Bertha won't do it. It uses a Kanthal element and the most you can get is around 1700*F without burning the element out quickly. If you want to melt and cast brass you need D. Gingery's other furnace plan book and you will have to burn propane. Propane will melt iron at 2700*F but you don't have to go that high, brass melts and pours at 2200*F. My dual fuel furnace is based on this plan I just modified it to make it larger and burn dual fuels. I also modified the frame assembly to make it easier to operate the larger furnace. There are lots of different ideas around the web to modify his original plan some better than others.

Heres the book you need. I might add here that the good thing about D. Gingery's books is that they are not just a plan for a specific machine. In the building process he takes the time to instruct and enlighten you on how and why you are doing things a certain way. He speaks from a lifetime of experience and what you get is hands on information not meaningless filler.

Name:	CCI03272020.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	1275861

I suspect no one is seeing the first half of the pictures I posted yesterday and got that power bump in the middle of it. I will see if I could reload them today.

Comment

Thanks! Experience like that is why I enjoy this forum. You just saved me a lot of wasted time and money! I will seek that book out instead.

Ken

PS I just found it as a .pdf and downloaded it. I will read through it and might have a few questions for you Carlos (if that is okay?)
                    Last edited by KenL; 03-27-2020, 01:32 PM. Reason: Added a PS

Comment

Not a problem Ken.

Comment

So I fired up my back up computer and sure enough the first 10 images in post #19 were not showing. But they were showing on the computer that I loaded them with when the power went out. Born to early, computers came to late in life LOL. Its enough to get by ​. So here are the images that are missing in post 19 not that it matters much it seems.

"Yes the one I refer too was on highway 34, south of 17, can't remember the name of 34 where it formed the main drag through Orleans, that was back in the early 90's. Huge collection of books covering a wide subject matter, a few of my shelves came from there and I am sure the kids still have many books from there. Like these.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_138943.jpg Views:	6 Size:	153.5 KB ID:	1275919 ​ ​

I was of course more into history, woodworking and metalworking technologies like these.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_138942.jpg Views:	8 Size:	185.0 KB ID:	1275920

These

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_138944.jpg Views:	6 Size:	273.7 KB ID:	1275921 ​ ​ Click image for larger version  Name:	Books 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	288.6 KB ID:	1275925

​​​ Click image for larger version  Name:	Books 3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	254.0 KB ID:	1275926 ​​​ Click image for larger version  Name:	Books 4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	297.6 KB ID:	1275927

Click image for larger version  Name:	Books 5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	263.4 KB ID:	1275929Click image for larger version  Name:	Books 6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	338.3 KB ID:	1275930

And these.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Metalwork 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	149.2 KB ID:	1275931Click image for larger version  Name:	Metalwork 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	160.2 KB ID:	1275932
                        Last edited by Carlosinthesticks; 03-27-2020, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Finally got all those images up for those interested. Looks like that virus has everyone at home tonight and on the internet. My connection is slow but tonight it is slower than it has been in years. Like I need it to be any slower .

Comment

Originally posted by Carlosinthesticks View Post
                            Finally got all those images up for those interested. Looks like that virus has everyone at home tonight and on the internet. My connection is slow but tonight it is slower than it has been in years. Like I need it to be any slower .
                            I like your collection. There's something comforting about picking up a book and reading it that doesn't come from the internet .... at least for me. Not criticising others. About twelve or fifteen years ago, there was a push on to get books into remote communities. They had it set up where you took your boxed books to a UPS shipping point, they get them to the RCMP (as I recall) who arranged to get them to communities across Canada's northern regions. I assume this was places where it's fly in or boat or winter road access. I gave away most of my books, and tried to keep as few as possible, knowing that a move was coming. It's ten years since I moved and there's several boxes in my basement that I haven't looked in since the move .... it's time to give them away too before someone else has to.

Comment

Originally posted by John Bartley View Post

I like your collection. There's something comforting about picking up a book and reading it that doesn't come from the internet .... at least for me. Not criticising others. About twelve or fifteen years ago, there was a push on to get books into remote communities. They had it set up where you took your boxed books to a UPS shipping point, they get them to the RCMP (as I recall) who arranged to get them to communities across Canada's northern regions. I assume this was places where it's fly in or boat or winter road access. I gave away most of my books, and tried to keep as few as possible, knowing that a move was coming. It's ten years since I moved and there's several boxes in my basement that I haven't looked in since the move .... it's time to give them away too before someone else has to.
                              Give me books, lots of books, under starry skies above
                              Don't fence me in
                              Let me leaf through the stacks that I love
                              Don't fence me in
                              Let me read in the evening breeze
                              And listen to the murmur of the trees
                              Send me off to book heaven
                              Really don't fence me in.

That about says it for me. The internet will never compete with a good book but it is the source of many good ones. But then the atom can destroy the planet but it can also give you relatively clean power.

Comment

Working...
                              X