How to lubricate pro.point clamps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to lubricate pro.point clamps?

I'm new to the Forum so using trial and error to find my way around. I couldn't find a way to search within a sub-forum for the answer to my question so I'll post my question and see if anyone knows the answer or can point me to the answer if it has been already posted. A few years ago I bought a few (18" and 24") Pro.Point clamps from Princess Auto and find them extremely helpful with many projects. My projects occur in spurts so I haven't used these clamps for several months but started one a week ago that required extensive use of these clamps. I discovered that one of them is kind of "sticky" - i.e. it doesn't release immediately when I squeeze the release "lever" - I have to press really hard to get it to release. Then when I want to adjust the opening space the lower jaw doesn't move readily - I have to apply a lot of pressure on the release lever to move the jaw. I assume some sort of lubrication might alleviate this problem but I'm reluctant to use anything because I don't know what type of material is used inside the locking mechanism and whatever it is may require a particular type of lubricant so that the mechanism doesn't gum up or get "eaten" away if the wrong type is used. I usually use white lithium grease whenever rubber is involved as it's usually safe to use but I can't see inside the locking mechanism to make sure it's a rubber product in there - maybe it's neoprene or some other plastic that needs a particular lubricant. I can't find any info on Pro.Point's website regarding maintenance of these clamps so I'm hoping someone might be able to shed some light on this "sticky" subject.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: How to lubricate pro.point clamps?

Welcome to the forum. I doubt your clamps need lubrication, more likely (in my experience) the bars are just dirty from build up of dried glue. Give the bars a good cleaning and your problem will likely be solved. To keep the bars clean a little paraffin wax will keep the glue from sticking  

Comment

Re: How to lubricate pro.point clamps?

Hey Doug, thanks for your suggestion, however the bars are quite clean (no glue residue or anything else that looks like it could cause this problem). The other clamps are in the same shape/condition as the problem clamp as well and they're working ok. Anyone else have any ideas?

Comment

Working...
      X