Canadian vintage tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canadian vintage tools

Chisels look good. You seem to have the vintage planes/saws/chisels well underway,
    so now you should consider renovating some vintage drills/braces & bits/spokeshaves/drawknife/bench axe/turnscrews/clamps/hammers/squares/marking gauges.....
    (there's classic old iron/steel, and rosewood, and brass trim, tools of all kinds, calling your name with their siren song. I know, I've heard that song hahahaha. Enjoy the journey! Hard to beat using an old tool that you have bought back into useable condition)
    Marky's Grandpa likes this.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Heard of the drill press technique and I do not have one of those either! Yet.

Comment

Kiwi... Love all hand tools! Vintage drills and spokeshaves will be next. Already have a couple of marking gauges and a square. Have to look up what constitues a bench axe.

Comment

Restored a vintage Disston Canada mitre saw. Scraped, steel wool and oil on the blade; linseed oil and shellac on the handle. I like the way it cuts!

Online Disston references suggest that it is a post 1930. "The No. 4 changed little, except for the handle becoming boxier and changing from applewood to beech sometime in the 1930's. Handles for miterbox saws started to change over to beech sometime before that, while still retaining a graceful shape until all the backsaw handles became plain and somewhat ugly by the late 1940's."

Comment

Working...
          X