X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Randy in Calgary
    replied
    Originally posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post

Just hope the 2 pieces are from the same piece of Cherry, as I made a box and a lid from what looked the same Cherry, then they darkened up, one more than the other
    They are but I’m not that worried Leo. It’s made from scraps so if I don’t like it I get the pleasure of making a new one. Maybe next time I will buy some exotic wood or something.

Leave a comment:

• Leo Van Der Loo
    replied
    Originally posted by Randy in Calgary View Post

Ha ha funny. That’s exactly the plan!
    Just hope the 2 pieces are from the same piece of Cherry, as I made a box and a lid from what looked the same Cherry, then they darkened up, one more than the other

Leave a comment:

• Randy in Calgary
    replied
    Originally posted by Wally in Calgary View Post

Maybe a little buffing with some wax and left in the window for a while would make it feel and look very timely. LOL. FWIW
    Ha ha funny. That’s exactly the plan!

Leave a comment:

• Wally in Calgary
    replied
    I think they make a handsome pair.

The #4 is not the same vintage or quality of the #6, (80's or 90's vs likely 40's or 50's) but it still works really well.
    Maybe a little buffing with some wax and left in the window for a while would make it feel and look very timely. LOL. FWIW

Leave a comment:

• Randy in Calgary
    replied
    I think they make a handsome pair.

The #4 is not the same vintage or quality of the #6, (80's or 90's vs likely 40's or 50's) but it still works really well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	File_000 (1).jpeg
Views:	73
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	1313102

Leave a comment:

• Doug G
    replied
    Originally posted by KenL View Post
    Correct Doug, unusable is probably not the best description! Too damned ugly would better express the situation since I only made the new parts to replace the ugly, old factory black painted ones! To satisfy my criteria for these pieces, beauty is essential, else why bother?

Ken
    Sorry Ken, I was just pulling your chain. The beauty of making something from scrap, if you're not happy with the result it becomes scrap squared.

Leave a comment:

• KenL
    replied
    Correct Doug, unusable is probably not the best description! Too damned ugly would better express the situation since I only made the new parts to replace the ugly, old factory black painted ones! To satisfy my criteria for these pieces, beauty is essential, else why bother?

Ken

Leave a comment:

• Doug G
    replied
    Those prettied up your older plane very nicely and will surely do the same for the #4; great use for some scrap.

I made a knob for my Stanley jack plane from glued up scrap cherry but it is unusable. Once the finish hit it you can see the joint a mile away even though I grain matched the wood. I used a low viscosity epoxy which, it seems, soaked into the cherry enough to highlight the join so for attempt number 2, I will likely make it from solid 2 inch stock. I have a question for you; what glue did you use? I can see the join in yours but it is barely visible and so much nicer than my feeble effort. I have a lot of 1 inch cherry scrap that I would love to use for this since I have 3 sets to make.

Ken
    Why would a visible joint make the knob for a plane unusable? Unattractive maybe but isn't it still functional?

Leave a comment:

• Randy in Calgary
    replied
    Those prettied up your older plane very nicely and will surely do the same for the #4; great use for some scrap.

I made a knob for my Stanley jack plane from glued up scrap cherry but it is unusable. Once the finish hit it you can see the joint a mile away even though I grain matched the wood. I used a low viscosity epoxy which, it seems, soaked into the cherry enough to highlight the join so for attempt number 2, I will likely make it from solid 2 inch stock. I have a question for you; what glue did you use? I can see the join in yours but it is barely visible and so much nicer than my feeble effort. I have a lot of 1 inch cherry scrap that I would love to use for this since I have 3 sets to make.

Ken
    Titebond Original.

Leave a comment:

• KenL
    replied

Ken

Leave a comment:

• Egon
    replied
    Nice work.

Leave a comment:

• Wally in Calgary
    replied

Aye. No stress. Nothin' to lose!
    Put it out in the sun a few times and it will get nice and dark. Even a sunny window will do.

Leave a comment:

• Brian @ Muir
    replied
    Looking good Randy

Brian

Leave a comment:

• Randy in Calgary
    replied
    Originally posted by Doug G View Post
    Scrap wood is the best wood. Well done.
    Aye. No stress. Nothin' to lose!

Leave a comment: