Tote Making

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tote Making

I was puttering in the shop and surveying the hardwood scraps situation (I'm a hoarder) and decided to use up a couple shorts of cherry. I never liked the flaking finish on the knob or the poor job on the homemade tote of my Stanley #4. So I made some new ones from the cherry. Both tote and knob are glue ups, which is not ideal, but hey I was using scraps and killing time. Turned out not too bad. A few more coats of finish and good to go.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0551.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	1312700

I'm hoping the cherry eventually turns as dark as the tote I made for my Dad's old broken down #6 Foreplane that I restored.

Name:	IMG-0552.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	1312701
    Soak-N-Fused, Darrell and 6 others like this.
    Cheers
    Randy
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Tote Making

Scrap wood is the best wood. Well done.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug G View Post
      Scrap wood is the best wood. Well done.
      Aye. No stress. Nothin' to lose!
      Cheers
      Randy

Comment

Looking good Randy

Brian
        If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

Originally posted by Randy in Calgary View Post

Aye. No stress. Nothin' to lose!
          Put it out in the sun a few times and it will get nice and dark. Even a sunny window will do.

Comment

Nice work.
            Egon
            from
            The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Those prettied up your older plane very nicely and will surely do the same for the #4; great use for some scrap.

I made a knob for my Stanley jack plane from glued up scrap cherry but it is unusable. Once the finish hit it you can see the joint a mile away even though I grain matched the wood. I used a low viscosity epoxy which, it seems, soaked into the cherry enough to highlight the join so for attempt number 2, I will likely make it from solid 2 inch stock. I have a question for you; what glue did you use? I can see the join in yours but it is barely visible and so much nicer than my feeble effort. I have a lot of 1 inch cherry scrap that I would love to use for this since I have 3 sets to make.

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by KenL View Post
                Those prettied up your older plane very nicely and will surely do the same for the #4; great use for some scrap.

I made a knob for my Stanley jack plane from glued up scrap cherry but it is unusable. Once the finish hit it you can see the joint a mile away even though I grain matched the wood. I used a low viscosity epoxy which, it seems, soaked into the cherry enough to highlight the join so for attempt number 2, I will likely make it from solid 2 inch stock. I have a question for you; what glue did you use? I can see the join in yours but it is barely visible and so much nicer than my feeble effort. I have a lot of 1 inch cherry scrap that I would love to use for this since I have 3 sets to make.

Ken
                Titebond Original.
                Cheers
                Randy

Comment

Ken
                  Why would a visible joint make the knob for a plane unusable? Unattractive maybe but isn't it still functional?

Comment

Correct Doug, unusable is probably not the best description! Too damned ugly would better express the situation since I only made the new parts to replace the ugly, old factory black painted ones! To satisfy my criteria for these pieces, beauty is essential, else why bother?

Ken

Comment

Correct Doug, unusable is probably not the best description! Too damned ugly would better express the situation since I only made the new parts to replace the ugly, old factory black painted ones! To satisfy my criteria for these pieces, beauty is essential, else why bother?

Ken
                      Sorry Ken, I was just pulling your chain. The beauty of making something from scrap, if you're not happy with the result it becomes scrap squared.

Comment

I think they make a handsome pair.

The #4 is not the same vintage or quality of the #6, (80's or 90's vs likely 40's or 50's) but it still works really well.

Name:	File_000 (1).jpeg
Views:	73
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	1313102

Cheers
                        Randy

Comment

I think they make a handsome pair.

The #4 is not the same vintage or quality of the #6, (80's or 90's vs likely 40's or 50's) but it still works really well.
                          Maybe a little buffing with some wax and left in the window for a while would make it feel and look very timely. LOL. FWIW

Comment

Originally posted by Wally in Calgary View Post

Maybe a little buffing with some wax and left in the window for a while would make it feel and look very timely. LOL. FWIW
                            Ha ha funny. That’s exactly the plan!
                            Cheers
                            Randy

Comment

Ha ha funny. That’s exactly the plan!
                              Just hope the 2 pieces are from the same piece of Cherry, as I made a box and a lid from what looked the same Cherry, then they darkened up, one more than the other

Have fun and take care
                              Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Working...
                              X