Stanley RB 10 plane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stanley RB 10 plane

Hi All, I have just found my old Stanley RB 10 Disposable Blade plane. I stripped it down, cleaned it up, rebuilt it with a new blade. Now I can not get it to adjust even to take a shaving off a piece of pine. The blade will not adjust out to the sole of the plane. Any help appreciated.

Ron in Woodstock
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Stanley RB 10 plane

Would the old blade adjust out to the sole? Are you sure the new blade is the correct one? Photos would help.
    This is not a common plane but looks like it takes utility knife blades (!)

Comment

Hi Jim, I agree, not a common plane but the blade is the correct one. The blade is the width of the slot in the sole plate and is clamped in a machined slot. The blade is just over 1/4” wide (top to bottom) and the full width of the frog. Problem is I can not get the frog to lower enough to allow the blade to protrude enough to shave the wood!!

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l1600.jpg Views:	0 Size:	327.5 KB ID:	1327890
        Last edited by Rick in Oakville; 04-25-2021, 11:43 AM. Reason: Hi: I found this picture of the back of a package of replacement blades for your plane. I notice that the blade does not appear to be pushed all the way up under the cap iron in the illustration. C

Comment

To my mind this plane is not worth fussing over. Reason is that blades are so hard come by (they had two styles...straight and radiused) It was, again, in my mind never intended to be a work-a-day tool. I have one, and I never even take it out! More of a curiousity

Eric

Comment

Thanks Eric, I get my blades from Nottingham, UK. I shall keep trying to get it working again.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...
            Working...
            X