Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KenL
    replied
    Wahoo! You have a very late but really fancy new square; it looks good. Congrats.

There have been a lot of delays in getting new items but recent experience in the used market would suggest that it isn't shipping that is causing the problem. I have had things shipped from Taiwan and California that arrived here in less than 2 weeks. Across town is only taking a couple of days.

Ken

Leave a comment:

• aliensurfer
    replied
    Well looky, looky, looky at what showed up today!

Leave a comment:

• Jim near the Tay
    replied
    [QUOTE=aliensurfer;n1339163]

They are much thicker which can definitely be a benefit when setting the tracks for my Festool track saw. Plus the supporting lip keeps the square from flopping down on the reference edge. And they are guaranteed square to 0.001" per foot.

I have that Woodpeckers square. I really like it due to it’s heft and it’s accuracy. One thing to note is that if it did get out of square, they will repair it, but my understanding is that you are on the hook for a two way shipping trip to Cleveland, Ohio. That could be very expensive and would certainly delete a lot of the joy of owning it!

Jim

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• mikeddd
    replied
    For squaring the rails for a tracksaw have a look at the TSO Products GRS-16. It's not cheap, but works very well. Ultimate Tools sells TSO Products.

Leave a comment:

• aliensurfer
    replied
    Originally posted by callee View Post
    On the square itself,

As for the square itself being square, not to be insulting, but have you tried the traditional method for adjusting and squaring a square, I.e. hitting either the elbow or the heel with a hard point in order to open or close it? I assume that's what you meant when you say you tried to square it, but I just thought I whould confirm.

My go-to square is a century old steel square, i've had to resquare it many times.
    I did indeed try the adjustment with a punch, but have not been successful in getting it adjusted correctly.

Leave a comment:

• billh
    replied
    I also have the LV detachable framing square fence and consider it one of the best things I ever bought.
    I've also adjusted squares using the "hit with a point" method in the right spot.
    billh

Leave a comment:

• callee
    replied
    On the square itself,

LV has an easily detachable framing square fence that makes it easy to register against an edge without it "flopping"
    https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...RoCXkAQAvD_BwE

I like it because it can be attached to any framing square, but easily removed if it's in the way.

As for the square itself being square, not to be insulting, but have you tried the traditional method for adjusting and squaring a square, I.e. hitting either the elbow or the heel with a hard point in order to open or close it? I assume that's what you meant when you say you tried to square it, but I just thought I whould confirm.

My go-to square is a century old steel square, i've had to resquare it many times.

Leave a comment:

• aliensurfer
    replied
    Originally posted by Kayak Jim View Post
    Their margin is much better if they sell their limited stock directly vs. through an agent. Doesn't do much for their relationship with those distributors, nor end customers, as you've experienced.
    Agreed.

Still a poor relations practice.

Leave a comment:

• aliensurfer
    replied
    Originally posted by Kunzwerks View Post
    I’m curious as to what feature the Woodpeckers square has that decided your purchase ? Seems that an aluminum square would get dinged up. Wouldn’t a steel or stainless steel one be better in the long run?
    They are much thicker which can definitely be a benefit when setting the tracks for my Festool track saw. Plus the supporting lip keeps the square from flopping down on the reference edge. And they are guaranteed square to 0.001" per foot.

It would be mostly used in my shop, not travelling around from job to job so I'm not too worried about it getting banged around. They actually do have a stainless steel model, but it is thin like most other framing squares and not quite as suitable for what I want to use it for.

For a bit more money I could pick up the Parf Guide drilling system and make an MFT style table.

Leave a comment:

• aliensurfer
    replied
    Originally posted by Brian @ Muir View Post
    There is not much in the manufacturing section that has not suffered delays due to stock shortage. My Neighbor works at a Toyota assembly plant. They are shutting down next week due to a shortage of wiring harnesses. The plant employs 2500 people. Another acquaintance sells wall panels that are applied with an adhesive. He orders adhesives but the pallet containing 5 gallon pails. He usually orders on Mondays for fridays delivery’s. His last order took 6 weeks. I need Rangerboard MDF. COMMONWEALTH have been out of stock for a month. They are hoping for a delivery on the 16th of this month.
    There's no denying the supply chains are broken due to COVID related issues. I also work in the auto industry and have been very surprised we've been able to stay running. I have suppliers who won't even quote jobs that are potentially several hundred thousand dollar orders due to supply issues.

The problem isn't that there's no supply from Woodpeckers, but that they are choosing to hold back inventory instead of filling paid for orders.

Leave a comment:

• Kunzwerks
    replied
    I’m curious as to what feature the Woodpeckers square has that decided your purchase ? Seems that an aluminum square would get dinged up. Wouldn’t a steel or stainless steel one be better in the long run?

Leave a comment:

• Brian @ Muir
    replied
    There is not much in the manufacturing section that has not suffered delays due to stock shortage. My Neighbor works at a Toyota assembly plant. They are shutting down next week due to a shortage of wiring harnesses. The plant employs 2500 people. Another acquaintance sells wall panels that are applied with an adhesive. He orders adhesives but the pallet containing 5 gallon pails. He usually orders on Mondays for fridays delivery’s. His last order took 6 weeks. I need Rangerboard MDF. COMMONWEALTH have been out of stock for a month. They are hoping for a delivery on the 16th of this month.

Leave a comment:

• Kayak Jim
    replied
    Their margin is much better if they sell their limited stock directly vs. through an agent. Doesn't do much for their relationship with those distributors, nor end customers, as you've experienced.

Leave a comment:

• aliensurfer
    started a topic Woodpecker Tools Rant

Woodpecker Tools Rant

So after finding my framing square to not be true, and after making a few attempts to adjust without success, I decided to take the plunge and order one of Woodpeckers 26" aluminum framing squares. After a bit of searching for Canadian resellers since I didn't want the hassle of cross border shipping during the COVID pandemic I ordered from Ultimate Tools in BC on January 24th for an early birthday present for me - whoo hoo! I'd ordered my first Festool from these guys quite a few years ago without issue. After placing the order, and I don't recall now if there was a notice about stock levels, I received an email the next day telling me they were out of stock and are on back order. They were unsure of delivery date and would I like to proceed with the order.

I said sure, expecting a delay of possibly a few months.

WRONG!

I've emailed Ultimate tools once or twice to see if they have any updates and so far no change. I had also been checking the Woodpeckers website and saw that they too had ship dates that kept moving with the last one being August. So last night I check and see they are taking orders and shipping the 26" squares again! So I contact them and ask when they will be fulfilling orders placed through their wholesale distributors and the reply I receive this morning was October, possibly even December! DECEMBER!!!

They replied that if I really wanted one, I should order directly through them instead of waiting for Ultimate Tools to get their order.

Are you *expletive* kidding me?!?!?!

I can't believe that they find it ok to sell and ship to Joe Anybody who orders from them today rather than fulfill an already paid for order from 8 months ago!

I think I will contact Ultimate Tools and get a refund and move on...

Rant over.
Working...
X