Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to buy Stanley #7 in Canada

Hi all,

Does anyone know where to buy standley bailey jointer planes (#7) in Canada? (can't afford LV or Neilson planes) I know the highland tools sells those, but in US. I just want to avoid border shipping and import tax.

Thanks

Re: Where to buy Stanley #7 in Canada

Re: where to buy standley #7 in canada

Hey dude,

I hesitate responding to this because I'm going to sound like a hand tool snob, but....

In the modern world of hand tools, Veritas (LV) is not a high end plane. It is an entry level quality plane. That being said Veritas planes will compete with just about any plane on the market at any price.

Pretty much anything less expensive will not be of the quality you will require to get the job done right.

Sorry to say it, but that is just the way it is...

Now if you want to go with an old plane, say from 1910-1930? And you live in Calgary?

Well I have even worse news for you. I use to live in Calgary, and the place is hopeless for old hand tools. I've searched high and low there, and I doubt I have found more than 2 or 3 planes of any kind that would be considered usable, or restorable, and the price they wanted? Well at that price I may as well buy new!

You can try your luck on Ebay, but you are taking a real risk on such a large plane, and in the end after shipping and all, I doubt it will be much less and a new LV plane.

Now if you are still not convinced, and you think you can get by with something cheaper, I read a quote from a guy named Todd on another forum that fits in here like a glove.

"The best way to appreciate quality tools is to suffer with some of the "crappy" ones first. " Todd O. Cronkhite

Comment

Re: where to buy standley #7 in canada

Originally posted by ERic In Nova Scotia View Post
      Hey dude,

I hesitate responding to this because I'm going to sound like a hand tool snob, but....

In the modern world of hand tools, Veritas (LV) is not a high end plane. It is an entry level quality plane. That being said Veritas planes will compete with just about any plane on the market at any price.

Pretty much anything less expensive will not be of the quality you will require to get the job done right.

Sorry to say it, but that is just the way it is...

Now if you want to go with an old plane, say from 1910-1930? And you live in Calgary?

Well I have even worse news for you. I use to live in Calgary, and the place is hopeless for old hand tools. I've searched high and low there, and I doubt I have found more than 2 or 3 planes of any kind that would be considered usable, or restorable, and the price they wanted? Well at that price I may as well buy new!

You can try your luck on Ebay, but you are taking a real risk on such a large plane, and in the end after shipping and all, I doubt it will be much less and a new LV plane.

Now if you are still not convinced, and you think you can get by with something cheaper, I read a quote from a guy named Todd on another forum that fits in here like a glove.

"The best way to appreciate quality tools is to suffer with some of the "crappy" ones first. " Todd O. Cronkhite
      Sadly, Edmonton isn't any better. I have gotten a couple of what I consider to be good deals on ebay, but for me, like Eric, there's just no substitute for starting at the Veritas level of quality. It's a little extra money up front, but way less hassle and I get to spend my time woodworking and enjoying a fine tool rather than labouring over an old tool trying to get it working 95% as well as the Veritas will out of the box.

If money is REALLY an issue, another option would be to look for an old woodie jointer to rehab. Or maybe even make your own.

Good luck.
      Kerry

Comment

Yes, the Stanley No 7s are not easy to find up here in the Great White North at anything like a reasonable price. I have a Millers Falls No 22C Type IV that I wish to get rid of to make space for more recent acquisitions. It is the same size as the No 7 and of very comparable quality. PM me if you are interested in photos, etc.

My only reason for selling is that I recently picked up a Millers Falls No 22 Type II that I like better because of the older cocobolo wood they used, but it doesn't work any better.

Erik
        Erik

Canada's Island Paradise - Prince Edward Island

Comment

i have seen a few in pawn shops and antique stores, but im sure a few will pop up here, put a wtb in the swap meet

Comment

Thank you for your replies. I guess I have to wait and save up the money for the better plane.
            I am green with hand planes and think that I would get into hand tools this winter inside of the house (too cold in the garages + noise). I have read a lot about planes, but it seems that everyone talks about LV or LN planes.
            I love the tools from these stores, but they are to damm expensive.
            Well, I guess I have to find some excuses to buy one. Oh, Yes, It's Xmas!!!

Comment

If you are just getting into hand planes, you may want to start with a Block plane. They are less expensive, and really quite handy.

Also, one thing I learned when I first got into it. A hand Jointer is not the equivalent of a power joiner.

But that is another story.

Comment

Originally posted by mywoodchip View Post
                Thank you for your replies. I guess I have to wait and save up the money for the better plane.
                I am green with hand planes and think that I would get into hand tools this winter inside of the house (too cold in the garages + noise). I have read a lot about planes, but it seems that everyone talks about LV or LN planes.
                I love the tools from these stores, but they are to damm expensive.
                I found a new interest for hand tools when I finally went out and purchased a quality product. Don't lower yourself to any of the lower quality clones out there. They are a bottomless put of frustration to say the least.

Now I am interested in why you are looking for a No7? It is not what I would call a very usefull plane in the sense that is a very specific use for it. Not a general utility type plane.

I would look to get one of the LA Jack planes. A very useful first bench plane, and not quite as expensive. You should let us know what you are trying to do as that will better expand what options are out there for you.

Matt.
                Matt

People are like a box of chocolates. It's hard to tell initially which ones are nuts.

Comment

Eric,

You may laugh at me now, but I do have 2 planes bought at busy bee when I just started this expensive woodworking hobby couple of years ago. I bought them 2 years ago, but never touched them until last month. I did not know how it works. Last month, I got bored of the crappy weather, and my golf season was over. I got to find something to do inside of the house. When I cleaned up my garage, I found these planes still in the box. So I start reading about planes and how to tune up planes. I was quite unhappy to find down that I bought things others consider junks. Well, I spent couple of days learning how to tune them up. And finally, it paid.
                  Now I can use these Groz planes (block plane and smooth plane) to make very fine shavings. Not bad for 60 bucks.
                  The more I read about planes, the more I wonder how good the LN and LV planes can be. I can make beautiful curly, and super thin shaving with mine effortlessly.
                  So until I have my hand on these expensive planes, I am not going to rest well.
                  And that is one of the reason I think (and hope) that I can find a cheaper one and make it works for me. After all this is a hobby, and I don't want to spend way too much money on tools. Or I just don't know any better.
                  Holly cow, I thought golf is expensive enough. But it is nothing compare to woodworking.
                  Last edited by mywoodchip; 11-16-2009, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Matt,
                    The reason I want a #7 because I want to learn how to use it for jointing boards. In the last couple of years of learning this new hobby, I build all my furnitures such as dining tables,beds, and end table using machines (I means power tools only). I learning this hobby using minimum tools due to budget constraints (I have more than one hobby) and limited space. I don't even have a table saw. I use the EZ smart system which basically is a circular saw on the track. I learn to edge joint board table top swith router and circular saw, sander, and a mastercraft planner. It was a challenge but it satisfied when it's done.
                    Anyway, I am trying to learn different techniques in ww in this winter, hand tools seems to be a new horizon to explore.
                    Thanks
                    Last edited by mywoodchip; 11-16-2009, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mywoodchip View Post
                      Matt,
                      The reason I want a #7 because I want to learn how to use it for jointing boards.

Anyway, I am trying to learn different techniques in ww in this winter, hand tools seems to be a new horizon to explore.
                      Thanks
                      The benifit to a No7 is that you have a longer surface to align over. Nice but not essential. Very contested, you will find that most start with a No5 to hock off most excess wood, then joint No7 then smooth No.4

But with a better quality 5, you can skip the joint step with some extra care. The lenght of the jack at 15" is plenty long enough to get a smooth edge as long as you use a straight edge that is longer, and mark of the high spots and then plane them down.

I bought a No7 at the recent Tools of the Trade show for around the $50 mark. But I know that it needs to have work done on it. The sole needs to be lapped, and the blade is so badly chipped it's pretty much a throw away. There is some rust that needs to be cleaned up. Easily a good 2-3 months to get it back to good condition with my schedule.

The less work that needs to be spent, generally the more you are going to pay for the tool. A LV or Lie Neilson are in the hundreds, but you can start planing with them out of the box. There are planes that sell for well above those. Not likely with my budget.

Matt
                      Matt

People are like a box of chocolates. It's hard to tell initially which ones are nuts.

Comment

Want a #7, contact Doug Orr here in Ottawa. Canada Post loves shipping #7 ($$$).
                        Last edited by chris in Ottawa; 11-18-2009, 12:18 PM.
                        Chris Gorman in Ottawa

Comment

didnt really know what a plane could do till i bought quality and learned how to sharpen, they go hand in hand, i prefer the ln to lv, bd to bu, going to send a pm so check your mail, well was going to but you dont accept pm

Comment

Chris

I have visions of Doug's inbox being filled with offers of free diplomas, and cheap Viagara. May want to modify the address in the interest of obfuscation.

Steve
                            If a man speaks in the forest, and there's no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong

Comment

I purchased a #7C last weekend for $50.

Very slight rust, no cracks, sole is flat enough for a hand plane.

The tote has a crack, so I'll make a new one.

I sharpened the blade and it works well.

A few years ago I purchased a #5C for $35, same sort of condition.

The remainder of my planes are LV or E.C. Emmerich, much more money than an old Stanley.

regards, Rod.
                              Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Working...
                              X