Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A very old plough plane - thoughts or info?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A very old plough plane - thoughts or info?

This plane was given to me by my father, who's father gave it to him - made in England. Engraving says T.S. Kaye and Sons, Hull. The 'E. Turpin' stamp would have been a former owner, I'm guessing. Does anyone know enough about these to guess it's age, or any other details of such a plane? PS - I still have the blade, it's just not in the plane right now.

thanks guys,
    Mark
    Attached Files
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: A very old plough plane - thoughts or info?

I can't offer much, but it looks to be a fairly well made plow (plough?) plane. Very cool! There is a very good chance this was E. Turpin's prized "flagship" tool. I've never used a wood plow before, but I do understand that they take some skill and patience to use.

If you are thinking of tuning it up, take the time to learn exactly what you need to do, and how to do it before you try...

Not they type of plane you want to develop your skills on.

Way too cool!

Comment

Hi Mark,

Nice looking plow (plough).

I don't know the maker but he's probably listed in Goodman's "British planemakers from 1700". Maybe someone has a copy?

Question about the nuts. The inner nuts, are they recessed into the stock? On my plow they're not recessed, nor are they on most planes I have seen.

Darrell
      Wood Hoarder, Blade Sharpener, and Occasional Tool User

Comment

Well...this is what "British Planemakers from 1700" says:
        'Kaye, T.S. & Sons 29 George St. Hull
        <1930-1970> (which means the authors consider that the company may have been in business before and after the dates shown). An existing catalogue, circa 1930's, states "Established 1848". Listed as saw and toolmakers, merchants, cutlers and grinders.'

David

Comment

Originally posted by Darrell View Post
          Hi Mark,

Nice looking plow (plough).

I don't know the maker but he's probably listed in Goodman's "British planemakers from 1700". Maybe someone has a copy?

Question about the nuts. The inner nuts, are they recessed into the stock? On my plow they're not recessed, nor are they on most planes I have seen.

Darrell
          Not sure which nuts you mean, Darrell - there are twin nuts not visible in the photo (probably why you asked) Those ones are not recessed into the stock.

Comment

The inner nuts

It certainly looks to me like the inner nuts are recessed into the body of the plane. If you loosen the two nuts the body of the plane should move and the nuts stay in place. You still need a wedge and iron to get going. From the look of the pics the plane was not used very much. Just the mark bieng so fresh looking is quite a prize.

It would be interesting to look up all the stamps on the plane and see if any are related or you can trace the history of the plane. Just looking up E. Turpin stamp appears there were a few cabinet makers of that name.
            Last edited by Jim in Burlington; 12-07-2009, 08:17 PM. Reason: add more info

Comment

Hi Jim - I've got the wedge and the iron - they are just not in the picture. Where did you look up the 'E.Turpin' stamp? Google didn't give me much...

Comment

Mark,

I cannot be of any help identifying the maker of your plough plane but wonder if you could post a picture of the sole of the plane? I am interested in building a larger plough to augment my Veritas small plough plane; just because.

Thanks

Ken in Ottawa

Comment

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=...meta=&aq=f&oq=

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...tryGB&aq=f&oq=

Eton Turpin Edward Turpin E. Turpin cabinetmaker are some key words I am sure there must have been a Phd student that has studied and wrote papers on the text style of metal stamps.

Comment

[ATTACH]23341[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]23342[/ATTACH]

Not as clear as I'd hoped, but hopefully that's an adequate look at the sole.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Russell View Post
                      [ATTACH]23341[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]23342[/ATTACH]

Not as clear as I'd hoped, but hopefully that's an adequate look at the sole.
                      Thanks Mark. It's a very nice plane and I hope you can trace its lineage!

Ken in Ottawa

Comment

You can find out more about T.S.Kaye & Sons of Hull here:
                        http://tskayeandsons.weebly.com/

The plough plane you show clearly pre-dates 1944, as it does not appear in the Tool List which my grandfather prepared at that time (which you can download as a PDF file from the website above)
                        Regards
                        Tony Kaye

PS If it's OK by you, I'd like to mention the plough plane and a couple of the photos on our site - can you say anything more about how it came to be in Canada? And where in Canada are you based?

Comment

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but Tony what a great tribute to your family business you have in your website! The hand drawn tool catalog, all 60+ pages of it is a gem. I've downloaded many old catalogs (from toolemera etc) but yours is hands down the best. Thanks for sharing it.

Jim B

Comment

Originally posted by Kayak Jim View Post
                            Not wanting to hijack the thread, but Tony what a great tribute to your family business you have in your website! The hand drawn tool catalog, all 60+ pages of it is a gem. I've downloaded many old catalogs (from toolemera etc) but yours is hands down the best. Thanks for sharing it.Jim B
                            Thanks for pointing that out. Tony, what a treat. My folks were both in England when that catalogue came out. I imagine they saw Kaye tools.

Comment

Working...
                            X