Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the purpose of having an adjustable frog (on benchplane).

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the purpose of having an adjustable frog (on benchplane).

On my Stanley smoothing plane I noticed that the frog is adjustable in reference to the base, both in lateral and longitudinal movements. When reassembling the plane I cleaned up, I just centered and squared the frog and it seems to work well. However, it got me thinking, what would be the purpose of sliding the frog forward or backwards for example?
    Custom cabinetry and furniture -

Re: What is the purpose of having an adjustable frog (on benchplane).

Re: What is the purpose of having an adjsutable frog (on benchplane).

It has the same purpose as an adjustable mouth. You can control the thickness of your shavings. Forward=thinner.
    Larry
    www.grandpastreasureschest.com

Comment

By moving the frog forward this places the iron closer to the forward edge of the mouth. The mouth edge supports the wood fibers closer to the iron and thus reduces the amount of tear out. A neccessary adjustment when using the plane on figured woods and works very well on straight grained woods too. The Stanley Bedrock series made this adjustment more accessable and quciker than the Stanley Bailey line up. For a smoothing plane it should be closed up to 1/32 of an inch. Perhaps less. Of course this will force you to take a thinner shaving. Your plane iron will have to be as sharp as sharp can get to have success with it as well. The chip breaker will have to be tuned and tight to the iron all the way across so shavings don't work between the iron and chip breaker too.

Very best,

Al
      Happiness is removing a sliver

Comment

Thanks very much guys for the information. I have the chip breaker mating the iron well, but I have around an 1/8"+ clearance right now. That might explain why it felt like it was taking either too large of a bite or too fine of one. I will adjust it and see how it performs.
        Custom cabinetry and furniture -

Comment

Working...
        X