Molding plane Done

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Molding plane Done

hey every one I have been on the quest for a couple of months now to make me a molding plane. but not just make one learn about all of them and get my head wrapped around making a full sent of wooden planes of all types. So i did it made the first one no 14 hollow ill be making a full set of hollows and rounds over the next few months. Its an amazing process tones of fun and frustration learning and wondering. its gonna take some time to get good at it but i cant wait to master the almost dead art of plane making. If any one is interested in making one sent me a P.M well talk tools i have got some great books that will help any one.
    Adam Thorpe Pickering
    Attached Files

Re: Molding plane Done

Very cool Adam. I look forward to seeing your progress on the set!

You should take some pictures as you go so we can have a "build along"
    Cheers,
    SPCHT

Comment

Way to go Adam.

I see some whack marks on it so I'm assuming you've tried this one on some wood? How did it go? Did you make the blade yourself?

Kerry

Comment

Very nice

I would quickly put some kind of finish on the plane. My favourite is shellac and wax.

Comment

thanks for the posts
          I have used it quite a bit it works well as i progress in my skill iam sure that I will get better. And yes the entire plane is made from scratch using 3/16 in thick o1 tool steel.. Iam trying to sick to Traditional methods so ill be using B.L.O for a finish.

Comment

im still learning how to use them let alone make one

Comment

Adam,

If you are making a set with matching hollows and rounds, you will probably find it easier to make the convex-soled planes first, then using them to shape the soles of the concave-sole planes. I can never remember whether the terms hollows and rounds refers to the shape of the plane sole or the profile it makes.
              Chris Wong
              http://flairwoodworks.com

If you don't think your work is good enough, maybe you need a Magic Square.

Comment

Working...
              X