T F Shurly Arrowhead Saw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T F Shurly Arrowhead Saw

Found a nice T F Shurly "Arrowhead" saw yesterday that has easily readable etches on the blade (not like my other rusty arrowheads)It dates from the 1914-1928 period when Fred Shurly owned the St Catharines Saw Works, and fits in well with my ever increasing pile of old handsaws (I'm going to build some saw tills...sometime...honest !)
    (T F Shurly was the son of C J Shurly of Shurly & Dietrich fame. The St Catharines Saw Works were previously operated as R H Smith Co, R H Smith bought the Works in 1870 from J Flint who had started this first Ontario saw works in 1855)
    The saw etches are interesting as apart from the main T F Shurly Arrowhead etch there is the script alongside stating
    This is a secret Vanadium Alloy Blade, Cutting and Wearing qualities "Superior" to any other. Set Points of teeth only with Hammer. T F Shurly Co Ltd
    presumably this setting procedure was needed because the hard vanadium steel teeth would snap when using a hand held plier type saw set ? (I haven't tried)
    The third etch is a Vendor's etch for Aikenhead Hardware Ltd , who started business in Toronto in 1830 and was run by 5 generations of Aikenheads, but was eventually sold to Home Depot
    Attached Files

Re: T F Shurly Arrowhead Saw

Nice bit of history on the Aikenhead name. Never did know how that name came about when they opened the first Big Box store. Thanks for the post.

Brian
    If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

Nice. Looks like someone took good care of their saw. Usually, the ones I see are so far gone.
      Donna,
      Self Imposed Queen of Design Opportunities

Comment

Kiwi! That is a sweetheart for sure. I have a few saws from that same St.Catherines plant but none of mine are the Arrow head. A collector here in town has a very nice one that I know I'll never be able to pry out of him. I have one panel saw and one two man cross cut from the plant when it was still owned by Smith and my others are from the Shurley period.

Comment

Here's a couple medallions from the St.Catherines plant about the same time.

Comment

[quote=Aylmer Tom;276019]Here's a couple medallions from the St.Catherines plant about the same time.

Nice medallions Tom.
            The wild looking beaver by R H Smith is maybe my favourite medallion. Yours is slightly different from my 3

Do any of your "Made in Canada, S.D. , Warranted" beaver saws have a legible etch that says where they were made ??
            (I was wondering if they were made in St Catharines or Galt, or both, and none of my saws of this type medallion have a legible etch)
            Attached Files

Comment

Sorry, no etch on my saws either and doesn't appear to have been one either.The most recent saw is the one on the third picture. It appears to have been purchased, used till it was dull and left that way. It is in pretty good shape apart from the discoloration of about 100 years. I have not tried to clean it up yet but if there is an etch it will be on that one.

Comment

Some time spent tonight on the saw with some 220 grit and I see no evidence of an etch ever being present. I wonder if this is the case with all of those saws.

Comment

Thanks Tom,

There is a faint partial etch remaining on one of mine, but I can't make out the wording.
                  I have a suspicion that these medallions are local equivalent to common "Warranted Superior" types, and were sold with various merchant etches (...although....T F Shurly Co used the standard eagle type WS medallions on their "Gold Coin" saws.. so ??). I guess it gives me an excuse (another one !) to keep looking for old saws.

Note; I use progressively finer grit on a hardwood sanding block if I start to uncover an etch, 400, 600, and 1500 grit, with WD40 to lube (its messy), but I still tend to go too far and remove parts of etches while trying to get some legibility

Comment

Originally posted by kiwi View Post
                    The third etch is a Vendor's etch for Aikenhead Hardware Ltd , who started business in Toronto in 1830 and was run by 5 generations of Aikenheads, but was eventually sold to Home Depot
                    Very nice saw.

I just thought I would mention that Aikenheads was owned by Molson before being sold to Home Depot.............Regards, Rod.
                    Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Aikenhead's was the first of the really big hardware store. It was an amazing store on Temperance street in Toronto. When I was taking my trade test 32 years ago, the only place to buy any kind of good hardware was at Aikienhead's. It really was not like it is now with a wide choice of cabinet hardware, there was very little choice. I can remember going tothe store and spending my food money for a week on a pair hinges and hardware, for a wooden attache' case I made out of Ebuya, thinking it would impress would be employers. At the time I think Aikenhead's was still family owned.
                      When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Comment

An Arrow Head Saw catalog sold on ebay last night. It would probably have listed my saw.
                        http://cgi.ebay.ca/Vintage-1925-Arro...item2eab863a11
                        I wasn't able to find any T F Shurly saw catalogs to look at when I was doing some research on the history of St Catharines sawmakers recently (and only one each of R H Smith and J Flint catalogs).
                        I was so tempted by this catalog that I put in my first ever ebay bid, in the last 2 seconds of the auction, bidding more than I have ever spent on any saw. Fortunately for my wallet, I was out-bid, and it was finally sold for more than twice the price I tendered. (Obviously I have a lot to learn about ebay bidding . I hope this isn't another slippery slope ! )

Hopefully the new owner will be willing to share information from the catalog
                        Attached Files

Comment

my arrowhead saw has an arrowhead saw medallion. Not one of them medallions from the warren and ted saw co!

Eric

Comment

Working...
                          X