Possible Jewel (in the rough?)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Jewel (in the rough?)

I have been given a possible jewel by a good friend. Ron has been retired for over 10 years and was given what at the time was an old toolbox. He believes he got it at least 10 years before he retired from a senior mechanic who had worked his whole career and was retiring at the time.
    I've decided to proceed slowly on this project until I can verify it's value (or lack there of). It sure needs some TLC. Unfortunately the front cover is gone.

As you can see it's in pretty rough shape after many years of daily use. Construction is white oak for the carcase, drawer sides and backs are of a softer species.

Insides have been green felt lined and seem to be original material. The mirror is pretty much hazed over.

Front lock is apparently original, at least there are no visible ghosts from replacement.

Close up of lock reveals the probable maker and it's shape is appropriate for the marked vintage of the drawers.

Inside of box with drawers removed showing construction technique. Drawer glides are hardwood and only press fit in grooves to facilitate easy replacement (I believe)

This is the back of the large drawer. Notice the date "Jan 1928". All drawers have galvanized metal bottoms, lined with green felt.

There is a tag missing, center of bottom drawer. The ghost looks appropriate for the Gerstner name tag of that era.

The hinges also seem to be original equipment and also appropriate in design for the hinges used by Gerstner at the time.

I'm not sure if this is a genuine article. There is a Gerstner's Owner's Club that has to authenticate your box before you can buy any original hardware for a particular box (all the original stuff is still available for authentic owners).
    Is is genuine or not? I think it's worth the cost of mailing the photo package off to the Owner's Club and checking into it. What do you think?
    sigpic
    http://www.picturetrail.com/workinginwood

Re: Possible Jewel (in the rough?)

I'm not familiar with them, but it is a very nice box to be given.

Looking forward to the restoration photos.

Matt
    SPCHT

Comment

Nice score! Take your time restoring. It's history alone is worth plenty.
      They are still in business.
      http://www.mytoolstore.com/gerstner/gerindex.html

Comment

My Dad had one of those. As a kid I loved it, I wish I knew what happened to it.
        When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Comment

They are expensive

Still made today and that box could be 40 years old. I am not sure buy they used to rehab their toolboxes. They have been written up in magazines and PBS had them mentioned in a show.

http://www.gerstnerusa.com/

Comment

The value of this box is entirely up to you. I don't believe that you've got an "Ark of the Covenant" here. This is a very common machinist's tool chest and as others have pointed out it's still in production to this day.

You should put as much time and effort as you see fit into the rehabilitation of this piece, the reward for your efforts is entirely yours. I doubt that you'd ever get more than $300.00 for it and that's for a perfect restoration.

This is the eBay/craigslist reality of our world. The fact is you have a very cool piece on your hands and I would agree that it is well deserving of being restored to it's former glory. Is it precious? No. Is it special? Absolutely!

Comment

I have only seen two genuine Gerstners, but I would send in your photp package based on the lock trademark alone.

I agree with the others that it won't be worth more than two or three hundred dollars, but it is a very nice thing to have. Worth the effort to restore? Absolutely!

Good luck with it and progress photos on the restoration would be nice.
              Bob

Comment

Ben,

You might see the following thread on SMC that deals with the Gerstner Tool Boxes.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=137240
                Erik

Canada's Island Paradise - Prince Edward Island

Comment

Working...
                X