Stanley 92 Butt & Rabbet Gauge Help Needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stanley 92 Butt & Rabbet Gauge Help Needed

I recently bought a Stanley 92 Butt & Rabbet Gauge, which is missing the side cutter which fits between the head and stem. I have found someone who is prepared to make me a new one, but needs the measurements to work from. Would some kind person mind measuring their No. 92 side cutter and send me the dimensions?

I would be very grateful for any help.
    Bob

Re: Stanley 92 Butt & Rabbet Gauge Help Needed

Hi Bob, I have a Stanley 95 butt gauge, is that the same thing?
    - Eric

Comment

Sorry Eric, but the 92 is very different. It is more like a mortise gauge with the adjustable cutter moved by a screw at the bottom of the stem, but it also has a plate on the top like a No. 93. The side nicker which fits between the Rosewood head and the brass stem is unique to this gauge. There is a photo of one at http://home.comcast.net/~kvaughn65/stanley_92.jpg

Thanks for your interest and hope to get in touch soon.
      Bob

Comment

I finally broke down and bought a somewhat rough #92 which has the steel nicker. I think I'll get my friend to make me a copy of that part and try to rehab the second one- some day.

At any rate, if someone finds one of these with a missing nicker I should be able to provide a measured drawing to get one made up.

Bob

Comment

I bought one online last summer and the cutter was there but broken in two. I wonder what the cost would be to get two made?

The brass was also split open on the adjustment end, down two of the corners. Do you see any signs of that on yours?

Fortunately, the vendor refunded most of my purchase price.

Happy New Year,
          Rob

Comment

The "junker" I bought also has the stem split at the corners as well as missing the top cutters. I am thinking of giving that area a really good clean on the inside and soldering the end piece in place to make it usable. As far as the cost of making a new side cutter is concerned, I haven't a clue. I have a friend who thinks he can make one, but he's a snowbird and is down south until spring. I was thinking I might try the guy at St. James Bay Tool, as he makes replacement parts for a lot of Stanley planes. I sent him a measured drawing to have him quote on making a nicker for a moving fillister plane I have, which came in at $65. However, that is a much larger and more complicated part to make. I was thinking that approaching St. James Bay might help a lot of us who have missing cutters on #92 gauges. I understand that it is quite common for these to be missing.

I'll let you know how I make out with my repair attempt.

Here is a photo of my "junker" gauge with the splits in the stem:
            DSCN1543.jpg

Happy New Year to you too.
            Bob

Comment

Thanks. I look forward to hearing more.

I, too, have contemplated a soldering job, as neat as I can get it . That and a new cutter, and the 92 would be fun to use. But, I also have other guages that are probably better for the things I do and easier to handle.

If I fix it, I'm afraid I'll feel compelled to go hang some doors or something it would be really good at. But most of me is drawn to bring this once-shining paradigm of Stanley guagedom back from the dead. Afterall, it is not much good otherwise.

Regards,
              Rob

Comment

Working...
              X