Interesting coping saw with pivoting blade mech

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting coping saw with pivoting blade mech

Here is a coping saw I picked up at an estate sale last weekend. It's a solution to a problem I didn't know I had. The idea here is that turning the handle turns the blade mount at the top by means of a string running through the frame and wrapped around knurled barrels at both ends. The original string was broken so I replaced it with this string. The blade isn't a normal length so I had to modify an existing blade. The top pivot doesn't turn very well when the frame is under tension. Maybe a thicker string would help.
    Information on the frame: Jones Cable Saw E.C. Atkins & Co. Indianapolis, Patent Feb. 8, 98
    Another interesting tool I picked up is a cast metal Red Devil glazier stapler. Afraid diamond shaped glazier points are not so easy to come by these days!
    Attached Files
    Chris Gorman in Ottawa

Re: Interesting coping saw with pivoting blade mech

Is the string going through the tube? Maybe that where the problem is. I think the string is syncronizing the turn.

Comment

Coincidences.
      I found one of these Jones Cable Saws this weekend too, (also with the string broken somewhere inside the tube, and no blade)
      The complete identification on the tube of my saw reads "Jones Cable Saw, Patd Feb 8 98, E C Atkins & Co Inc, Indianapolis Ind, Sole Agents, Crary Machine Works, Mfrs Chicago USA"
      You can look up Jones's 1898 Patent record on DATAMP, (Pat No 598729), for an interesting read and a bit more information on the design.
      I haven't tried fixing mine to "User" status yet, but note that my www search shows most of these saws seem to have a broken string, (maybe a design deficiency ?)

Comment

Coping saw is very hard to use. I think dremel and or jigsaw will do the job.

Comment

Working...
        X