mastercraft plane

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mastercraft plane

I ran across an older NO 3 Mastercraft handplane in an antique shop. It was made in England, looked like Stanley clone, had black tote and knob, seemed too heavy and well made to be a CTC plane. Just curious, does anybody know if it was. Thanks ! Al
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: mastercraft plane

[QUOTE=Al=name;350148]"I ran across an older NO 3 Mastercraft handplane in an antique shop. It was made in England...".

At one time Mastercraft planes were likly made by Footprint. I have a No. 4 Footprint (early 1980s model) and sitting next to one of those earlier Mastercraft ones a friend used to own, I could see no difference except for the markings on the lever cap and the iron. The real giveaway was an identical solid brass adjuster wheel. My Footprint made a decent plane after a little bit of fettling (flattening the sole and the iron back was a bit roughly ground- nothing major), certainly much better than some of the other store brand planes I've seen recently, so it is no surprise that one looked substantial.

I actually don't think CTC makes any of their tools, but has others make them for them. For example, at the OWW site they state that National Woodenware of St. Thomas made a benchtop saw, drill press and jointer for CTC in the 70s and early 80s. It wouldn't surprise me if both Record and Stanley made some store brand planes around that time and might have made something for CTC. Stanley certainly did earlier (pre-WWII). In the late 70s, Millers Falls was still in business (barely) and might have made some planes for others too. Theirs were certainly not junk.

I hope this is useful.
    Bob

Comment

I had a different experience with my CT plane. It was a 1980's model that I picked up before i was really into hand tools. When i did finally use it on some carpentry projects, it refused to work well no matter how much work I put into it. The lever cap wouldn't hold down the blade properly unless I overtightened it (and could no longer adjust the plane). The blade didn't hold an edge well either. I was mostly working maple trim though, not the easiest wood, and I didn't have too much experience despite reading up on tuning etc. I ended up giving the plane to goodwill...feeling a little guilty that some poor soul would waste five bucks on a plane that produced more frustration than shavings...(after this traumatic experience, I ordered a LN 4.5 from Rob Cosman and never looked back). All this not to contradict Bob; I just had a different experience with my MC plane, perhaps due to my inexperience. I'd (kind of) like to have it back to try it out again.
      Frank
      SPCHT

Comment

Originally posted by Al=name View Post
        I ran across an older NO 3 Mastercraft handplane in an antique shop. It was made in England, looked like Stanley clone, had black tote and knob, seemed too heavy and well made to be a CTC plane. Just curious, does anybody know if it was. Thanks ! Al
        I have this plane: stamped no.3, 1.75" wide blade also stamped mastercraft & made in england; 'mastercraft' raised logo against red background on lever, black PLASTIC tote and knob.....
        ....I bought it from Canadian Tire, very likely in the early 80s..... sides square to sole, actually nice smooth action on depth adjuster..... I put a severe camber on blade and use it as scrub plane (Lee Valley's dedicated scrub has a 1.5" wide blade) and I suppose it would also make a decent smoother slightly smaller in size than a no. 4......... probably its value in the marketplace is its size, no. 3 size planes, used, are much less frequent than no. 4 and block planes so if you're interested in that size niche you probably will find it useful in your 'arsenal' of handplanes.....

ah, Canadian Tire......I've made some neat woodworking purchases there in the past..... 3 genuine Record quick release metal vises, the last fished out of bin otherwise filled with far east clones of the same, probably in the late 80s.... the most bizarre CT purchase, in the late 90s was a bunch of knock off Jorgensen wooden handscrews, that were quite fine and a third of the price of Jorgensens.... I was in the "re-opened" Newmarket CT store a week ago and it seemed that the tools section had shrunk by about 50%...... I doubt whether one will find anything other than a block plane or no. 4 size handplane made in India or 'location unknown' in a big box store these days, although Princess Auto, of all places carries a full sized no. 10 rebate handplane with the thinnest blade I've ever seen and side castings so thin around the blade that any fall to the floor and I'm sure the plane would shatter .... but I bought at their sale price of $24 a couple of years ago, tuned it up and it works fine.

good luck

michael
        Last edited by michaely; 05-30-2011, 06:26 PM.

Comment

I have an old MC plane (well my brother has it right now) that I think was made by Stanley in England. The iron has Stanley's logo!! It was bought new in Truro, NS in 1974. If I ever get it back, I'll fettle it and see if it is any good.

Ken

Comment

Working...
          X