Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Re: TORMEK WATER COOLED SHARPENING SYSTEM...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TORMEK WATER COOLED SHARPENING SYSTEM...

I am one of those people who try as hard as I can and still cannot get a consistantly good edge on my planes...is this system the answer to my prayers? I would appreciate any feedback on it..it is a lot of money to justify to SWMBO...or to myself
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Re: TORMEK WATER COOLED SHARPENING SYSTEM...

bdcameron,

I own one and it collects dust. It is too slow. It does not give an edge that I can get on my water stones.
    A variable speed 8" grinder to 1000 and 16000 Shapton stones are the medicine for my plane irons.

It's all about technique and once you figure it out you'll wonder what all the fuss is about.

JMHO

very best,

Al
    Happiness is removing a sliver

Comment

bdcameron,

I agree with Al about success largely is about techniques and persistance, with just about any sharpening process and media working.

If you want, lay out in detail what media you have and take us thru, step by step, the process you use, along with any suspicions you may have of where the problems are showing up. I suspect you will get a long of suggestions from people you use the same/similar media without having to completely junk what you now have.

btw, I use a 6" ordinary grinder with a white #80 Norton wheel and full range of waterstones, mostly King plus a few natural Japanese waterstones on my handplane blades.

good luck

michael

Comment

I thought the Tormek seemed a bit funny - isn't there something about 'glazing' the wheel to switch it over to the fine polishing grit? Seems weird. LV had a brief demonstration of their power sharpener at a course I was at there - VERY impressive, if one were to go the power route. Many on this board could obtain as good an edge with their waterstones though.

Comment

Originally posted by michaely View Post
          If you want, lay out in detail what media you have and take us thru, step by step, the process you use, along with any suspicions you may have of where the problems are showing up. I suspect you will get a long of suggestions from people you use the same/similar media without having to completely junk what you now have.l
          There are many ways to sharpen, as Michael said: let us all know what you have tried. I'm able to shave hair off my arms with blades sharpened on a white Norton wheel on a slower than normal grinder, followed, (freehand) by sandpaper on glass and I am not a hand tool guru by any stretch of the imagination.

The Tormek has a very loyal following so I would imagine it is likely the Bee's Knee's, but there are many ways to skin this cat.

Matt
          SPCHT

Comment

Have you looked at the worksharp? It works for me, seems sharp enough for what I do anyway.
            Why do people keep calling me Rob?

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

hi BD,
              I recently purchased a Tormek but for different reasons, I have been woodworking with hand tools off and on for a number of years more off than on but now with the luxury of time rededicated myself to the craft and having lots of fun and frustration with hand tools.

To your first point re getting good edges on plane and likely chisel blades I would really recommend learning to sharpen by hand I suggest the Veritas MK 11 honing guide with the camber roller is an excellent purchase I use this with the Shapton Professional Waterstones 1000/5000/8000 and Lapping Plate before moving to a power system for your sharpening needs or you might never get a feel for sharpening or the problems you are having with it.

Over the years I have collected way to many planes at least for my needs to date I really have a thing for old woodies and I have a number of Lie Nielson and Clark & Williams planes as well. I have never hollow ground a blade and found I was spending way to much time sharpening so I purchased the Veritas MK 11 PSS although it did a good job of cleaning up the irons I could never develop any consistancy, it overheats the blades throws an incredible mount of grit and it is difficult to flatten backs of small blades due to the heat. My biggest problem was the blades were often not perfectly square after sharpening especially if using the course grit wheel.

These comments are purely my opinion and probably due to technique as much as the system so not intended to start a debate about the merits of one system over the other.

I made the decision to buy the Tormek got a good deal with the hand tool kit it does a great job on my kitchen knifes and want to try my hand a carving as well. The primary driver for me getting this system was the ability to hollow grind on a slow speed wet grinder my biggest frustration when sharpening was going back to freehand the secondary bevel on my plane and chisel blades without the hollow grind I got no repeatability free handing the blade on the 8000 stone now it is very easy to do and I am very happy with my method of work using the Tormek, Veritas Honing Guide and Freehanding the secondary bevel when resharpening.

Good luck with your sharpening adventure the rewards are worth the frustration and I have had many.

Dave

Comment

I was itching years ago to get a Tormek, but having realized that I'm not hand tools guy, and would primarily benefit more with just other household sharpening needs, I never bought one.

It's such a mixed camp of reviews on this item I have found reading many miles of comments about the Tormek versus either other similar motorized alternatives, or simply doing things by hand with stones. I think what muddies the water is the cost of the Tormek, and/or whether you are a purist woodworker pursuer.

You really have to think about what you'll need it for, and what you would be doing for your own needs otherwise without using a Tormek, and whether that would be sufficient and/or satisfying for you.

Good Luck!
                Kevin

Comment

Thanks to all of you for your comments..I guess that the smart thing to do is to presevere with the hand sharpening ..again...thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X