Norton1000x waterstone does not cut

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norton1000x waterstone does not cut

I've a 1000x / 4000x Norton combination waterstone that I use to sharpen my plane blades. It was flattened on both sides with 220 grit sandpaper on a plate of glass. This is also what I use for a Imanshi 8000x stone. My issue is that the 1000x doesn't seem to cut at all. In fact, I find I can remove material faster with the 4000x and even the 8000x. I do know that I what able to cut a Veritas A2 blade on the 1000x before I flattened it. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to flatten it differently? I did use the same piece of sandpaper for both sides of the 1000x/4000x. Would this make a difference? Currently, I'm using a diamond plate in its place.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Norton1000x waterstone does not cut

Gee, I haven't run into that problem. I flatten our water stones using 90x SiC on plate glass (the Veritas Stone Pond method) and haven't had a problem. A guess, and a guess only, is that the stone was glazed in the flattening process. A coarser paper seems to be in order to clean the surface. Norton stones have a hard bond and the 3 that we have seem to be a bit fussier than my other water stones about glazing.

I hope this helps.

Ken

Comment

Coudl also be the kind of sandpaper that is glazing the stone. Black paper (wet/dry) works the best for me. I use 50 or 80 grit to flatten my 1000 stone. When the paper gets worn, I add carborundum grit (coarse) to it, using the sandpaper as a substrate.
      Frank
      SPCHT

Comment

Like Ken, I use loose grit on glass. Try coarser sandpaper.

Jim B

Comment

Never been a fan of using sandpaper on my stones. I've taken to rubbing stones against each other to flatten them, and seem to be able to feel a difference when sharpening vs. sandpaper.

Comment

I use the same system as Frank. Coarse wet/dry then add 90 grit when it gets worn. Still the 220 should have worked, just slower. If the 220 was worn down it may have glazed the stone. If you do not have coarser wet/dry try a new sheet of 220.

Jim

Comment

Thanks guys for your help. I stopped by Lee Valley and picked up some 90x Sic and used that on my glass plate. That seems to have solved my problem. I still not sure why my other stones worked fine with the sandpaper but the 1000x did not. I think I'll just use loose grit from now on. Do you guys use a higher grit for finer stones or just stay with the 90x?

Comment

I flatten up to 1000x using the compound then generally just flatten the 4000x and 8000x on SiC wet or dry paper when they need it. Personal experience is that the fine grit stones rarely require flattening (unless my son has been experimenting with edge shapes on his knives).

Ken

Comment

I had the exact same problem with the Norton 1000. I never did remedy the problem despite repeated attempts using a variety of sandpaper to remove any burnished grit. I even emailed Norton a few times and received no response. I eventually switched to an 800 grit stone that LV sells and it works much better. To my mind the Norton 220 and 1000 stones are useless.

Ian

Comment

Hi Ian,
                    You might have gotten a dud stone. I have 2 Norton 1000s (bought 2 because I started out flattening my stones by rubbing them against each other...didn't like it because the results were too variable) and they both work great...take off a lot of metal and stay flat a good while. I have seen a few Norton duds before (both 4000 stones, but just to say it's not impossible).
                    Frank
                    SPCHT

Comment

Thanks Frank, I had suspected as much as the 4000 and 8000 worked very well. I was more disappointed that repeated email requests about the stone in question, including lot number etc., all went completely unanswered.

Since then I have not purchased another Norton stone.

Ian

Comment

Working...
                      X