Learnt a couple things

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learnt a couple things

It was a productivity day yesterday at the shop. I was resawing a piece of cherry for the bottom shelf of a nightstand. Everything was going so well until about 2/3 of the way.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0518saw.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	939976Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0523saw.jpg
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	939979
    The board started to bind. I thought no big deal, I will just put a wedge at the top and keep sawing. When I turn the board over to the other side, I saw this nasty mess....

Name:	IMG_0525saw.jpg
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	939973Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0529saw.jpg
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	939975

Good that it's for the bottom shelf, I will probably just leave it and use the erroneous side as the bottom. Now I know, I need to pay more attention sawing right after binding occur.

Then I move on to making a piece of cove molding. First time I try the hollow plane since I got it from the tools of the trade show. I always thought I need a moving fillister to cut a rabbet until I saw this video from Matt Bickford:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNibpT33FTI

So, I decided to give his method a try, cutting rabbet freehand with my Veritas shoulder plane. It was suprisingly easy to do and I am quite happy with the result. Except I think using the shoulder plane for this is a bit overkill. Maybe I need a M.S.Bickford Rabbet plane.

Name:	IMG_0534moulding.jpg
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	939974Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0535moulding.jpg
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	939977Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0536moulding.jpg
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	939978
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Learnt a couple things

Mike,
    It is too bad about the board splitting like that after you had invested so much sweat getting it to that point.

I don't have any experience resawing by hand. Do you know what what happened to cause the problem? I guess I am unclear if the binding caused the split or the other way around.
    Thanks,
    Ray

Comment

Ray,

It wasn't splitting. I went outside the existing kerf line when the wedge opened it up. If I pay more attention on where the saw exit on the first few strokes after the wedge, everything would have gone smoothly...

Comment

I've had this happen before. I'm pretty sure it's not necessarily that the wood is binding so much as that the scribe line may not have been entirely on the same plane. If the surface you are scribing from is not properly flattened, the scribe line won't represent a flat surface either. The result is that the saw blade binds against the curve of the wood, and either does what happened to you or forms to the bend. I suspect that if you had paid closer attention when sawing, you may have ended up with a bowl shaped slab.

Been there, done that...

Made a drawer bottom out of what was left.

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up. Looking at the picture I thought the grain had just run out on you when you put the wedge in.

This will be something for me to remember when I get that rip saw

Originally posted by m1putt View Post
          Ray,

It wasn't splitting. I went outside the existing kerf line when the wedge opened it up. If I pay more attention on where the saw exit on the first few strokes after the wedge, everything would have gone smoothly...

Comment

Working...
          X