Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

St James Tool Co. Anyone with experence?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St James Tool Co. Anyone with experence?

Anyone had any experence with these?
    http://www.stjamesbaytoolco.com/featured.html
    I have been given a stash of old Brazilian Rosewood so I was thinking a project for it.
    I know from FWW mag review that they are a little rough and need quite a bit of work to finish. Anyone come across any other reviews?
    Cheers, Mark
    sigpicToday's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: St James Tool Co. Anyone with experence?

No direct experience Mark but some of their stuff is available machined.

http://www.stjamesbaytoolco.com/smoothing.html

Comment

I ordered a set of replacement blades for my Stanley 48 tongue & groove from them. The blades were accurately machined. They only needed final honing and sharpening. I bought through Ebay and they have very positive reviews there.

Comment

I know that Darrell in Oakville has made the smoother and also the block plane.

Machining can be done with just hand tools, that is how Darrell finished his planes.
        Alternatively, if you want to make a dovetailed infill plane, I might be able to give you the steel parts for the body.

Comment

I understand that it is best to phone Bob as he does not seem to check his email regularly. 800-574-2589

Jim

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies and Scott to your offer of steel. I am still thinging it over some what. The Bronze from St. James looks tempting. SWMBO asked me what I wanted for a big birthday coming up and she will not buy me anything with a cord on it. LOL
            Cheers, Mark
            sigpicToday's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground.

Comment

Hi:

I guessing Darrell is away this weekend. Hopefully he won't mind me posting a link to an image of his projects:

St james Bay smoother, Hoosier Tools shoulder, and St James Bay block planes.

Craig

Comment

http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com...1&d=1271649903

The one on the right I made from a rough casting from st James bay. I made it with a 60 degree bed. It is my go to smoother. Has great weight to it.
                Last edited by wayjep; 07-03-2011, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Great Guy, but you have to phone him. he is a little slow getting the product out to you but great dollar value. I have ordered from him before.
                  Cheers Ron.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark in Burlington View Post
                    Thanks everyone for your replies and Scott to your offer of steel. I am still thinging it over some what. The Bronze from St. James looks tempting. SWMBO asked me what I wanted for a big birthday coming up and she will not buy me anything with a cord on it. LOL
                    Cheers, Mark
                    Mark,

The sides, sole and backing plate are all laser cut blanks, they would need just the 2nd dovetail filed on, then peened together.

Now to go back to the land of screeding the base layer and laying concrete pavers.

Scott

Comment

Jim I had bought a small block plane from them a few years back and it has been an excellent tool, heavy for a block plane with a thick iron, ( they refer to it as a thumb plane).The gentlemen used to live by us on Long Isalnd but moved to Mesa, I beleive when he retired.
                      Rich

Comment

Yah, I was on vacation, and I'm STILL catching up on things. Missed this one completely.

My smoother was a machined casting, which was reasonably easy to deal with. Makes a nice plane. But the sole will wear if you do a lot of planing with it. Me, I figure it will be fine for what I do and I will let my heirs decide how to rehab the plane, eventually.

The block plane was a rough casting. Lots more work, espacially if you don't have a big sanding machine, which I didn't at the time. I got to know my files and scrapers real well. Milling the bed was another big adventure. I used my post drill for that.

Darrell
                        Wood Hoarder, Blade Sharpener, and Occasional Tool User

Comment

Working...
                        X