Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rob Cosman and hand tools

http://robcosman.memberlodge.com/

Rob Cosman is at the AWFS in Vegas and is promoting his new website for those that would like to learn more about hand tools. It has a $19.95 monthly fee. You get access to 2 half hour episodes a week. I have never seen him at a woodshow where he has not attracted a large crowd around his table. I believe it is Woodcraft that he is here with

Brian
    If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Rob Cosman and hand tools

From what I heard, Rob Cosman is a good instructor and he know his stuff well. $20 a month is not unreasonable. However, I think I will sign up for the free membership for now.

Comment

Wow, you really get around Brian! Out in Vegas now eh?

WRT Rob Cosman, he seems to know his stuff and he's leveraging that knowledge that into quite the business. Own line of saws, videos and now the website memberships. Good on him, I say.

Comment

Anyone following the new Cosman site?
        He has done 10 episodes on the first project, a candle box.
        I find it real nice to watch this build in real time.

Comment

I'm some what toying with subscribing, but frankly I don't think I have enough time/energy to get my money's worth. We'll see though, I used to really enjoy watching him when he was on the Canadian wood show circuit.
          Cheers,
          SPCHT

Comment

I've watched Rob work and teach for many hours Matt. Even spent some time helping him at a couple of his courses.
            But in saying that I have picked up even more little tidbits watching the first 9 episodes on this first project.
            For me I am getting more than my monies worth at $2.50 a episode.

Comment

This is an interesting concept Rob has going. Do you have the option to download / record the episodes since you are paying for them, and then re-watch them at a later date like you would be able to with tv?
              VIDEOS: www.youtube.com/AWoodworkersLife

Comment

I'm pretty sure there is no (sanctioned) way to download the videos. You're paying for access to the entire collection of videos, not the videos themselves. If you want the videos, you buy the DVDs.

It's a little odd, actually. Members who join now have much less content available then members who would join later. So there is an incentive to wait until later to join.

I watched the first four episodes, found them very interesting insofar as I'm watching a guy move a piece of metal back and forth over either wood or stone, but then things got hectic and haven't had a chance to watch more.
                "I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen"

Comment

You make an excellent point about the incentive issue.
                  VIDEOS: www.youtube.com/AWoodworkersLife

Comment

There will be an incentive to join earlier.
                    I got an email from Frick that said that those who join later will not have access to the previous workshops. Similar to a magazine subscription as one would not get the previous issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Zimmel View Post
                      I got an email from Frick that said that those who join later will not have access to the previous workshops. Similar to a magazine subscription as one would not get the previous issues.
                      I'm not sure if I'm crazy about this model. What if I'm not interested in the current workshop project? What if the current project is too advanced for my level? Maybe you should be able to subscribe on a workshop series basis. It seems crazy for Rob to produce this content and then not give subscribers access to it, unless of course you'll have to pay extra for it.
                      Cheers,
                      SPCHT

Comment

Matt, I understand that access to previous projects can be can be purchased for a one time fee. Also annual members will automatically have access to the previous projects. I chose the yearly fee, it saved me some money as the price is discounted for this option. Best bang for my buck...

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Zimmel View Post
                          If true, you'd think this would all be spelled out on their website. If there's an incentive to join earlier, they should be broadcasting it loudly, now. However, even that model seems odd for the reasons Matt points out.

I joined about a month ago on a monthly basis, but after the first four or five episodes I'm finding it hard to find the time to watch and am having trouble deciding whether to spend the bucks and reup for a year or not. I did learn a heck of a lot, the most important being that working with hand tools is not as easy as it seems from reading articles about it. The format is very revealing, in a good way.
                          "I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen"

Comment

Working...
                          X