Plane handles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plane handles

I've noiticed that plane handles seem to be made with the grain running parallel to the bottom of the plane. This seems to me to invite the common breakage near the bottom of the handle. I have two older planes that are broken at this point.

If I decide to make handles for a wooden plane, is there some reason why I should not make the handle with the grain running the length of the handle? Is there something I'm missing here?

Thanks for any advice.
    Cheers,
    Warthog

Everyone is a self-made person.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Plane handles

Derek Cohen (and others) have provided some answers here......

http://forums.finewoodworking.com/fi...direction-tote

there is also a link in the above to Lee Valley's free full size templates and directions for making hand plane totes of various sizes and for bevel down and bevel up planes..... their directions also specify grain roughly roughly parallel to sole of the plane.... I just checked a couple of LV and LN planes as well as a couple of the LV carcass saws and the grain of all are parallel to sole/length of saw blade.

good luck

michael

Comment

Thanks! That is really good information. I shall be unafraid to make the grain run the length of the tote, and although I hadn't thought about making new handles to replace my broken ones, I will now. I have some leftover sassafras that is just the right thickness.
      Cheers,
      Warthog

Comment

I haven't looked at the links, but it seems to me that if the grain runs the length of the tote, the horn and the base of the handle where the littleb screw holds it down will both be prone to cracking. The handle could also split following the grain where the bolt runs through.
        IME, with the grain running properly (parallel to the sole) handles only crack when the plane falls off the bench. So a cracked handle on an older plane is not a sign of a design flaw, but of abuse. I'm pretty sure that if you make handles with the grain running the other way (the length of the handle) you will see cracks which are a result of design flaw.
        My 2c, your handles.
        Frank
        SPCHT

Comment

That's true Frank, but for the cost and pleasure of making something out of surplus wood, I'll have gained a valuable lesson, and will get to do it again the right way should it fail! That's an interesting point about the handles cracking from dropping, too. I do occasionally drop things or leave them somepplace they can fall off of.

I suppose the screw through the handle supplies considerable support to the handle, too. Interesting.

Thanks!
          Last edited by Warthog; 08-04-2011, 02:13 PM. Reason: afterthought
          Cheers,
          Warthog

Comment

If anybody is thinking of making handles from the Lee Valley patterns....I have the Variable Round Over Bit needed to trade for handles or?
            Contact me
            Brian

Bit now gone
            Last edited by bdcameron; 08-23-2011, 09:58 AM.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...
            Working...
            X