Resurfacing Bench Top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resurfacing Bench Top

Six years ago my wife gave me a Sjobergs bench as an anniversary gift and it is now time to resurface the top.. Instructions say a light sanding then apply oil...Any suggestions on which would be best ?
    Brian
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Resurfacing Bench Top

BTW..I was planning to use tung oil

Comment

Any oil should be fine (linseed oil is cheaper than tung oil), do not apply a film finish. I use a card scraper when I want to clean the bench top. Check if the top is flat, you might need some planing.
      Alejandro

Comment

If you can get Watco oil locally it works great. I don`t like linseed mainly because of the smell. I would use Maloff finish which is one part boiled linseed, one part polymerizing tung oil (basically a drying version of tung like boiled linseed is for linseed), and the last third is satin oil valspar, or similar. The varnish increases build and ads to the drying since it has driers in it. You might cut the varnish back a little for this application if you want a more in the wood finish, but it is already two thirds oil so it should be fine as is.

Comment

Brian
          When I built my bench last year I used a mixture I made of equal parts turpentine, linseed oil and beeswax. I really like it, if I get drips of glue on it during a glueup I let it dry and it just pops off with a scraper.

Comment

Thanks guys
            i think that I am going to go with the Watco danish Oil...sounds like just what i need..Thks Peterpan...and the newest issue of FWW
            Brian

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...
            Working...
            X