Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lee Valley Chisels

I am about to purchase new, upgraded chisels. It's tempting to wait and see the Lee Valley (Veritas) when they come out but may not wait without knowing these are traditional socket chisels with wood handles rather than something like the Lee Valley saws - functionally fine but not my style.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I got my seven of ten today...three on backorder, and they seem like very good addition to the chisel army. Years back I picked up lapping compound and patiently lapped out the machine marks on a piece of hardwood, whenever I picked up a new chisel. Has anything changed over time to reduce the effort in this process? Seven new chisels in one day seem a little overwhelming. Thanks. Lyndsay

Comment

Originally posted by Lyndsay View Post
        I got my seven of ten today...three on backorder, and they seem like very good addition to the chisel army. Years back I picked up lapping compound and patiently lapped out the machine marks on a piece of hardwood, whenever I picked up a new chisel. Has anything changed over time to reduce the effort in this process? Seven new chisels in one day seem a little overwhelming. Thanks. Lyndsay
        Not really - I have only done a couple at a time, and have several to go whenever I foresee using them. However, overall the Narex chisels are great value, a very good chisel for about the same as some completely unusable ones.

Comment

The backs of these chisels are fairly flat but need work to remove the grinding marks (which are straight across rather than swirls). I found Norton 3X sandpaper glued onto a sheet of thick (3/8") glass works very well to quickly remove the grinding marks. I used 80 grit but I think something less rough might leave behind smaller scratches to be cleaned up by further sharpening. Next time I may try some 120 or 180 grit I have. It only takes a few minutes at most to remove the grinding marks on the first couple of inches at the tip of the blade. I expect an hour or less will have all of the seven chisels up to 1 inch ready to move on to sharpening. The three big chisels may take a little more time each depending on how far up the blade you want to go to remove grinding marks.

Comment

I also got my seven out of ten chisels yesterday. I do not have water stones and was planing to backlap with sandpaper on a substraight and also sharpen to 800 grit sandpaper. Would this be suitable? I just cannot justify putting another couple of hundred dollars in cutting a few dovetails at this point in time. Maybe buy a stone every couple of months etc
            Did you go to the 8000 stone with yours Matt?
            Last edited by MAWarner; 08-11-2011, 04:15 PM.
            Murray

Comment

Originally posted by MAWarner View Post
              Would this be suitable?
              Give it a try and see what happens. You have to start some place right! If your technique is good and its not sharp enough, you can buy some higher grit paper. CanadianTire usually stocks up to 2000 grit, check the automotive section.

Sharpening can be a major rat hole, I know I've been in it. Don't forget that then end goal is to do woodworking and not achieve the perfect edge.
              Cheers,
              SPCHT

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

now why did i think i had to lap the whole chisel??????????????????
                went with your (Rick) advise and lapped an inch or so and got it done in an hour. Thx Lyndsay

Comment

Working...
                X