Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new Veritas quick release front vise

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...55&cat=1,41659

Looks nice but at $289 it's twice as expensive as the current Lee Valley offering of a similar size quick release front vise "from a small European firm". Quick release on Veritas is via a lever as opposed turning the spindle 1.5 to 2 times counterclockwise on the other vise.

michael
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: new Veritas quick release front vise

I have the European vise and I hate it, the machining is good but I do not like the quick release mechanism. Lee Valley was very kind in replacing my old vise for a new one after two years of light use, but still I do not like it. the reason I returned it was the quick release mechanism will jump under moderate clamping pressure, I even dissambled and cleaned it three times but at the end it stopped working. Lee Valley also sells the Jorgensen vise (made in USA) just a little more expensive than the European vise.
    The Veritas vise looks nice, I would like to know how well this vise deals with racking, at this price I would expect very little or no racking. My other complain is with the guide rods and screw there is not much place for clamping anything. My next vise is going to be a twin srew vise, probably the Veritas.
    Alejandro

Originally posted by michaely View Post
    http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...55&cat=1,41659

Looks nice but at $289 it's twice as expensive as the current Lee Valley offering of a similar size quick release front vise "from a small European firm". Quick release on Veritas is via a lever as opposed turning the spindle 1.5 to 2 times counterclockwise on the other vise.

michael

Comment

It may not make it worth "twice as much" to you, but this vise works the same way as their newer quick release tail vise. It can be used in both directions, to pull things apart using bench dogs or in normal mode to hold things tight. Most quick release vises are not designed to pull things apart - they slip.

I haven't seen a production model in person although I saw the mock up at Woodworking In America last fall- on that one a lot of the parts were made of carbon fiber or something. The metal guide rods are almost 10 inches apart so it is a big beefy vise.

Comment

Michael
        That looks like a very good vise and I am sure it is very well made knowing veritas. I would like one but at that price and I am sure it is worth I just have too may other things on my wish list at this time. It is funny even though I keep buying things from LV the wish list does not get any smaller. Not sure why.
        Billy

Comment

Working...
        X