X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• corner clamps

Does anyone use these types of things?

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...65&cat=1,43838

I'm going to be making some drawers. simple rabbet corners and later will add a false front. Was thinking this clamp might help. or, is there a better way or different type of clamp?

thx
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: corner clamps

I've used several other styles of corner clamps, and in general I really like the concept and find them very useful. I have found a few short-comings with the particular corner clamps I have (not being able to access the corners, for example) but I see this design deals with those. I've just added four of these to my next LV order, and based on my past experience with corner clamps in general, I'm already convinced they are going to work great! It would be interesting to hear if anyone here has any first hand experience though.

Comment

I use the Bessey VAS strap clamp like you can see here:
      http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00002...021398-5491154
      Very handy for boxes and all kinds of stuff, I love them.
      If they are too pricey you can go with the web clamps and corners they sell at LV. Not quite as handy but certainly cheaper.
      Frank
      SPCHT

Comment

That type of clamp can actually hold the corner apart. It doesn't work for me at all. If you are going to use a rabbet joint just use a plain old bar clamp. When you make drawers you will want to measure and adjust the diagonals and with corner style clamps the adjustment is very difficult because the clamp will want to HOLD its position.
        Last edited by Rusty; 08-17-2011, 10:21 PM.

Comment

I've got similar clamps that I use sometimes for very small projects but they're time-consuming to set up. Most often I use regular C or F clamps with these braces from LV: http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...01&cat=1,43838
          Jim

Comment

The single red clamp shown OP is a PITA because of the swivel. Very heavy, hard to handle. Pricey. I own one tried out and never use it. Fairly limited on stock thickness. Bad idea IMHO.

The single angle piece type corner linked made in high density plastic from Rocker, machine aluminum from Woodpeckers ($$$), and angle aluminum linked from LV is the best for accuracy IMHO but does gobble up C-clamps and they can get in the way. A little time consuming handling so many pieces. On the other hand, using your own C- or F-clamps allows any thickness of stock material or flexible placement. I have multiple sets of them in differing sizes and they are best results; prices range from med. to high but I use them particularly for shelf inside corner type joints and in 'T' joints. Probably the best of these 3 mentioned here for accuracy, strength and serious work. Can be placed at any distance in from side unlike either of the other two, limited only by throat depth of your C- clamp. Best choice of these three IMHO.

Arguably the better one of all these 3 for speed and quick 3rd hand using one at a time while placing screws or nailing a corner such as fast rough construction and quick removal is the one shown attached; available under different labels, made in China if you just want a helping 3rd hand, has quick release for fast initial setup. Limited depth bite of 3/4" IIRC in from edge of board, labeled as Craftsman for ~ $20, exact identical thing (no label) at Harbor Freight for $10.

Yes I do have enough clamps - probably too many. Prices are U.S.

WW
            Attached Files
            Start slowly, wind down gracefully
            woodbilder@mac.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
              That type of clamp can actually hold the corner apart. It doesn't work for me at all. If you are going to use a rabbet joint just use a plain old bar clamp. When you make drawers you will want to measure and adjust the diagonals and with corner style clamps the adjustment is very difficult because the clamp will want to HOLD its position.
              As Rusty said, if you are going to make rabbeted drawers you only need regular bar clamps. As maybe you already know, rabbets do not make strong joints but if you add some 1/4" dowels you increase considerably the strength of the joint.
              For boxes I use a strap clamp similar to the one that Frank uses, very handy.
              Alejandro

Comment

As maybe you already know, rabbets do not make strong joints but if you add some 1/4" dowels you increase considerably the strength of the joint.
                ...understood. I'm using nails instead of dowels ;-)

This forum is great...so many kind folks on here that know lots of stuff!

I picked rabbet in this case because:
                a) I'm a beginner, and my shop doesn't have all the cool toys yet..project by project I add to it though :-) Hence, I was looking at a new type of clamp.
                b) rabbet is easy. my last project I did it this way and it worked fine for my purposes...but it was awkward because I didn't have proper clamping...I actually just squeezed them using adjustable bench dog thing. When I go around my house and look at existing furniture from the Brick/Leon's/Sears etc...it's all just butt joints with a screw in them..so at least I feel one step fancier than that with rabbet!

I think I will take the bar clamp suggestions...I currently only have these Irwin quick grip things I got from home depot...I find those useful in all kinds of places, but they're too small for my drawers.
                I will make order now for some bar clamps, and I liked the idea of those 90 degree braces.

These look cool:
                http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...12&cat=1,43838
                ..but expensive.

maybe I'll get some of these:
                http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...82&cat=1,43838

Comment

Re: corner clamps ADDENDUM

(Ten characters 1234567890 ...)
                  Originally posted by jtnisbet View Post
                  ...understood. I'm using nails instead of dowels ;-)

I picked rabbet in this case because:

b) rabbet is easy. my last project I did it this way and it worked fine for my purposes...but it was awkward because I didn't have proper clamping...I actually just squeezed them using adjustable bench dog thing.
                  WELL PUT. RABBITS MAY NOT BE THE STRONGEST THING IN THE WORLD BUT SINCE YOU POINT OUT YOUR POSION ON THE LEARNING CURVE, THEY ARE GREAT FOR YOUR NEEDS, IMO.

I think I will take the bar clamp suggestions...I currently only have these Irwin quick grip things I got from home depot...I find those useful in all kinds of places, but they're too small for my drawers.
                  I will make order now for some bar clamps, and I liked the idea of those 90 degree braces.
                  THE POINT MADE ON THE 90 DEGREE THINGEES IS THEY ARE BEST FOR POSITIONING AND TEMP HOLDING WHILE DRILLING OR NAILING, ETC. - NOT STRENGTH OF A TIGHT JOINT.

These look cool:
                  http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...12&cat=1,43838
                  ..but expensive. THOSE BAR CLAMPS ARE NICE BUT OVERKILL FOR YOUR NEEDS - THEY ARE REALLY BEST FOR EDGE GLUING BOARDS INTO A PANEL

maybe I'll get some of these: AMEN, BUT BETTER YET GET THE SIMILAR PIPE CLAMP FOR 1/2" OR 3/4" BLACK PIPE AT HALF THE COST.
                  http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...82&cat=1,43838
                  Start slowly, wind down gracefully
                  woodbilder@mac.com

Comment

Jamie you can pat yourself on the back for having good taste. Those Bessey clamps are the Cadillacs of clamps IMHO.

There are lots of less expensive options for you tho.

Comment

I have a bunch of these and find they work very well. Very strong spring steel probably not suitable for soft woods although I don't know for sure. It's nice that they are clamp free and just push on/pull off. http://www.jetwilton.com/us/manufact...product=273949
                      Paul

Comment

Working...
                      X