X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New infil plane

Beautiful work!

Nothing wrong with being "Inspired By". When you get right down to it, everything is based off someone else work for inspiration.. From Beethoven to Ford. If it isnt a total copy they'd have no grounds.

Comment

I think the combination of saying you are inspired by their planes and making a plane for sale that has some superficial similarity to planes of theirs might be a little off.

But the solution is simple. For the other 4 if you have not cut all the parts, simply google some designs like Bugatti, rivet, porsche, etc... Particularly mid century, and find some high in the front low in the back inspiration that fits your design, but is "original" as far as planes are concerned. And apply that to your sidepanels. Or look at classical moldings. As in the Lee Valley book on moldings. Or get a book that tells you how to lay out formal geometrical shapes. Or as others have suggested find a classical plane maker long dead to copy. But I assume you like the K class because they are a little more modern looking. The majority of designers just copy, but even that calls for taste. There are some fun 50s cars, but I don't think I want fins on an infill. You can do it.

Copying a whole product is always a trial, if you get it right, it is only because you copied it. But if you get it wrong it is your lack of skill showing through. In most cases where I have copied, I had virtually nothing to go on, so the work was more original than it might have seemed. Might as well get the credit for it should it turn out.

I wouldn't show too many photos of that plane pushing a shaving like that, you have something from your breaker to your mouth trapping the shaving.

Comment

Originally posted by scooby074 View Post
        Beautiful work!

Nothing wrong with being "Inspired By". When you get right down to it, everything is based off someone else work for inspiration.. From Beethoven to Ford. If it isnt a total copy they'd have no grounds.
        I agree that as I mentioned above, it is really not a copy unless you proceeded calipers in hand. But as far as the lawyers (presumably never to be involved) are concerned, this thread is enough. And we should all also know in our own heads what we did and how we came to do it.

Comment

"I wouldn't show too many photos of that plane pushing a shaving like that, you have something from your breaker to your mouth trapping the shaving"

Hi, I'm not sure what you meant by this last statement?

Comment

Man, what a shame...

If someone wanted a Sauer and Steiner plane they'd buy it, not your "inspried" plane. I would guess the use of the phrase "production run" has those concerned up in arms.

At any rate, I have no doubt you've inspired some to also attempt to make their own planes as well.

Comment

Originally posted by wayjep View Post
              "I wouldn't show too many photos of that plane pushing a shaving like that, you have something from your breaker to your mouth trapping the shaving"

Hi, I'm not sure what you meant by this last statement?
              The shaving you have shown has bunched up in the opening causing it to look like this /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ where as you want it to look like this __________. This suggests that it is not clearing shavings properly.

As for the Sauer and Steiner comparison I am not seeing a copy (and I've looked at all the pictures posted by Konrad); sure they look similar but so do the other infill planes being made today.

AK

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew_K99 View Post
                The shaving you have shown has bunched up in the opening causing it to look like this /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ where as you want it to look like this __________. This suggests that it is not clearing shavings properly.
                Yeah, either there is a problem in your plane geometry, or the set-up of the breaker, or your ability to get a plane to work. People probably shouldn't be buying your planes if you don't know how to make one or use one. Luckily this is not normally a big deal to sort out.

Comment

Working...
                X