New infil plane

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New infil plane

Totally inspired by Konrad Sauers K series planes that I played with a couple weeks ago at a show here is a prototype that is almost complete. 6 1/2 inches long smoother with blade bed of 52.5 degrees. Infil is ebony that needs a couple more coats of French polish to complete.
    Attached Files
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: New infil plane

Wow! Looks awesme!

Did you make all the parts from scratch?

AK

Comment

Were did you find the ebony, is it full thickness?

Comment

Hi, plane totally made from scratch except LV blade. Ebony is full thickness from exotic woods burlington. This is a prototype and I intend to do a small production run of 5 planes.

Wayne

Comment

That's a beauty Wayne.
          Do you plan on selling any of your production run? Please tell me it works as sweet as it looks.
          Mike @ Buck Lake

Comment

Yes, it works wonderfully. I do plan to sell the production run. PM if you re interested. Thanks

Originally posted by mikeddd View Post
            That's a beauty Wayne.
            Do you plan on selling any of your production run? Please tell me it works as sweet as it looks.
            Last edited by Kris in Toronto; 06-25-2012, 04:07 PM.

Comment

I'm interested and would love one ... but I've seen the cost of custom infill planes and doubt they'd be in my price range. Unless this is a test run and you're only changing a minimal fee ... in which case PM what you're asking!

AK

Comment

LOVE it! PM sent.
                Ryan

GALLERY OF PROJECTS: http://lumberjocks.com/galleries/Boomr99#

Comment

Very nice plane. How many hours in total do you have into it?

Comment

Here are some higher resolution pictures. and you tube link to video. DSC02461.jpgDSC02462a.jpgDSC02461a.jpgDSC02465a.jpgDSC02471a.jpgDSC02469a.jpgDSC02464a.jpgDSC02463a.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbcwXdd5-iY
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8txj...hannel&list=UL

Originally posted by wayjep View Post
                    Totally inspired by Konrad Sauers K series planes that I played with a couple weeks ago at a show here is a prototype that is almost complete. 6 1/2 inches long smoother with blade bed of 52.5 degrees. Infil is ebony that needs a couple more coats of French polish to complete.

Comment

Very cool! Did you fab the lever cap and screw yourself? Very massive. Just from an aesthetic standpoint, I find the blade too long. Minor point, though.

Craig

Comment

Thanks Craig, and the blade legnth is something i have been thinking about. Im not sure yet how long it will eventually be, i may shorten it.

Comment

Hi everyone. Recently i received a very respectful message from a member here. The message advised me that may not be a good idea to make planes that incorporate designs that are the work of another modern maker and offer them for sale. Other advise was to make planes based on old makers such as Norris or Spiers.

I contacted Sauer and Steiner and there were others that were concerned about my plane too.

I don't want to offend anyone by making planes. I just wanted to make something I found to be of beauty and valued by others.

Beyond what I have in progress I will not produce any more planes of this design.
                          I made it his plane out of admiration and in no way intended it to be a copy or rip off any other maker.

I am however a little disappointed as I was ultimately inspired to start to make planes not by the work of the old makers like Norris but by the exquisite modern work of Sauer and Steiner.

Wayne

Comment

Well, I can see their point if you were planning on offering them for sale. Don't let it stop you from imitating their designs to build planes for your own use.

Originally posted by wayjep View Post
                            Hi everyone. Recently i received a very respectful message from a member here. The message advised me that may not be a good idea to make planes that incorporate designs that are the work of another modern maker and offer them for sale. Other advise was to make planes based on old makers such as Norris or Spiers.

I contacted Sauer and Steiner and there were others that were concerned about my plane too.

I don't want to offend anyone by making planes. I just wanted to make something I found to be of beauty and valued by others.

Beyond what I have in progress I will not produce any more planes of this design.
                            I made it his plane out of admiration and in no way intended it to be a copy or rip off any other maker.

I am however a little disappointed as I was ultimately inspired to start to make planes not by the work of the old makers like Norris but by the exquisite modern work of Sauer and Steiner.

Wayne

Comment

Is that actually a copy of another plane? You said "inspired by" which I'd see no issue with. I've seen many that look very similar to yours, can't see why someone would say something.

AK

Comment

Working...
                              X