Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody want to buy/save this old bench?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody want to buy/save this old bench?

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...AdIdZ440204970

...the seller says that it would "make an amazing hall table, island or you could even drop a bathroom sink into it."

Maybe somebody here is looking and could talk the price down? I've already got a similar style bench.

Re: Anybody want to buy/save this old bench?

Thats just a beautiful piece - his asking price is high. At least as high as if I bought something similar from an antique dealer in Toronto. If we were even in the same ballpark I might give him a call

Comment

Pfft, it's not a Roubo design. Totally useless for woodworking. Bathroom vanity is about the best thing that could happen to it :-)

Seriously, when was the last time you saw a bench build thread that wasn't a Roubo?
      Mark Kornell, Kornell Wood Design

Comment

That is a nice bench but he is a mile off on the price I ahve seen simialr for much much less in antique stores.

Very good European style cabinet makers bench, but obviusly the owner has not researched it price wise.

Comment

Originally posted by iguana View Post
          Pfft, it's not a Roubo design. Totally useless for woodworking. Bathroom vanity is about the best thing that could happen to it :-)

Seriously, when was the last time you saw a bench build thread that wasn't a Roubo?
          Last August when I did mine here. Just a run of the mill bench without a fancy French name ;)
          Andrew J. Coholic
          Joe Coholic Custom Furniture Ltd.

www.joecoholiccustomfurniture.com

Comment

According to the map that baby is only a mile or two from where I live. Price is highhh for sure. One of the individuals I know in the approximation of the map pin is a rather self proclaimed antique dealer. Sink! WTF Noel have you been smokin'
            Last edited by Aylmer Tom; 01-18-2013, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Whad do you all think would be a realistic price for this bench? I am not asking because I want to buy it, but because I am curious Some antiques are priced in a crazy manner for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Aylmer Tom View Post
                ...... Sink! WTF Noel have you been smokin'
                Yeah, but think about how easy it would be to deal with getting the last bit of toothpaste out with those vices on hand!
                Kevin

Comment

mmm, maybe $500?
                  I'm just saying that based on selling it to someone to use as say a sideboard

Comment

This one has been for sale for a while... another dreamer at $5000
                    http://stcatharines.kijiji.ca/c-buy-...AdIdZ427729454
                    sigpicToday's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark in Burlington View Post
                      This one has been for sale for a while... another dreamer at $5000
                      http://stcatharines.kijiji.ca/c-buy-...AdIdZ427729454
                      The description says it weights approx 200lbs... seems odd to me. At that "girth" and with the drawers, etc, I'd expect it to weigh more like 500lbs. I'm guessing it's made of soft-wood?

Nothin' wrong with that... mine's softwood too... but... I estimate the material for mine cost all of about $50 (technically nothing, since it's made of an old deck...)

Comment

This bench bench sold for $2400 at an auction last November. Sorry about the pictures, they don't do it justice. It was fantastic. The vise in the center was on a sliding rail so it could be placed anywhere along the length of the bench. The enlargement is poor, but you might make out the dovetails in the tail vise have double and triple tapers to them.
                        2012_1117PotterSaleNapanee0004.jpg2012_1117PotterSaleNapanee0006.jpg2012_1117PotterSaleNapanee0004zoomed.jpg

Art Shaw
                        Last edited by millforge; 01-19-2013, 12:18 AM.
                        Art Shaw
                        Woodworker, thinker, tool collector & tinkerer

Comment

Just a thought ... while those benches pictured would certainly do duty as woodworking benches, I wonder if part of the high pricing has to do with them being in demand as "furniture" by home decorators etc. I can see people using them as a summer kitchen table or veranda table in a luxury house ... part utility, part conversation piece. I wonder who is really buying them?

John

Comment

John; you're right, it ain't woodworkers buying them at that price, it's high end decorators, but that's what woodworkers are competing with. There were two of us at the sale watching helplessly.

Here's another intriguing bench. It came from a shop built in 1851 by a Scottish cabinetmaker. It was a wreck, with one leg chewed off by a porcupine, but an original wrought iron holdfast was intact. Note how the back legs cant forward and the bench leg cants sideways. It got $400.

2009_0907HoggSale0004crop.jpg2009_0907HoggSale0015.jpg2009_0907HoggSale0005.jpg
                            Art Shaw
                            Woodworker, thinker, tool collector & tinkerer

Comment

At the last Toronto wood show that was held in conjunction with the cottage show there was a person selling benches similar to above that had been refinished. They were being sold as pieces for decorating as someone else mentioned. I do not recall the prices but at the time thought they were quite high and he had at least a half dozen of them. There are people that have money to spend on these pieces and it is "what the market will bear" business.
                              Brian
                              If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

Working...
                              X