Flea market gloat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flea market gloat

I wasn't gonna gloat, but I'm really excited on this find and have to share..

Picked this Stanley Bailey #5 jack plane yesterday for $17.00. Hasn't seen much use from what I can see. It's made in Canada, only had surface rust and the handles are solid.

Spend a couple of hours cleaning it up last night. All is left is to flatten the sole and sharpen the blade (I'm pretty sure it's the original blade).
    I might refinish the handles as well if I feel up to it.

Any idea of the vintage? I don't think it's too old as the lever cap has the orange Stanley logo. All the old ones don't have these I think.

My two year old assisted me in taking the pictures...
    Attached Files

Re: Flea market gloat

Nice find JL. Boy, that plane is clean. Did you paint the black? Maybe you should check the sole for flat with a straightedge. You might be lucky and not have to do do any more work.

Kerry

Comment

Kerry,

It appears to be the original black paint, I cleaned it up and applied a coat of paste wax.

I lapped the sole this afternoon, there was a bit of a depression near the throad.

Comment

stanley plane

i have a few like that. My guess is that it is a pre world war 2 , or one that was made in the 40's.Mine are good working planes.Does it have the sweetheart logo on the iron?

Comment

Planeguy,

My plane is a type 19, 1948-1961, no sweatheart logo. So it's not really the collector's type, but sure makes a good user. I'm happy.

I re-finished the handles and now the plane is on my bench all the time.
          I think I feel an addiction coming on.

What's the number for "planes anonymous" ??

I went back the the flee market yesterday....no luck. There were four #4's, three Stanley Handyman's and one "Mybro".
          Last edited by JL in Ottawa; 07-17-2006, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Hey JL, where's that flea market located?

Or are you keeping it for yourself?

DC
            DC

Comment

Originally posted by Denis Chénard in Ottawa
              Hey JL, where's that flea market located?

Or are you keeping it for yourself?

DC
              Yah, which one was it?

Raceway?
              Stittsville?
              Arnprior?
              Other?
              Cheers,
              SPCHT

Comment

Okay Okay, I'll share....

It's the Masson Flea Market a.k.a "Marché Larose".... You need to go outside the main building (north east)... this is where the "junk" tables are. I don't know if they fare better than the other markets cause I don't do flea markets that much.

Comment

Originally posted by JL in Ottawa
                  I wasn't gonna gloat, but I'm really excited on this find and have to share..

Picked this Stanley Bailey #5 jack plane yesterday for $17.00. Hasn't seen much use from what I can see. It's made in Canada, only had surface rust and the handles are solid.

Spend a couple of hours cleaning it up last night. All is left is to flatten the sole and sharpen the blade (I'm pretty sure it's the original blade).
                  I might refinish the handles as well if I feel up to it.

Any idea of the vintage? I don't think it's too old as the lever cap has the orange Stanley logo. All the old ones don't have these I think.

My two year old assisted me in taking the pictures...

Hi JL,

Nice handplane. My wife's grandfather gave me a Made in Canada Stanley No5 last year. I've tuned it up and replaced the iron with a $12 iron from HD....It's a great plane.

Nice Score,

Al

Comment

From the first picture it appears that the "Y" yoke depth adjuster is cast iron. Stanley changed from using cast iron Y yokes to stamped steel Y yoke sometime in the 1950's, I believe. It was one of the steps of the reduction in quality and costs. It is not definitive, but it is the first thing I look at when I see a plane for sale. If it has a cast iron yoke it is probably one of the "good old planes".

Take care
                    Bob

Comment

Bob,

You are correct, it is a cast iron yoke. Funny thing, cause this is a thing I look for as well now. I can't see stamped steel being too rigid.

....but... when I bought this one, I did not look for anything like that. I looked at the sole for cracks etc, knob and tote for cracks as well and making sure it wasn't too pitted. I knew that $17 was a good deal for sure.

It was after that that I looked through the internet to find out more about Bailey's and how to date them etc.

4 years ago, I inherited an 1911 Bedrock 605 from my Grandfather which belonged to my great grandfather..... Unfortunately the tote was broken and the sole had been broken in half right at the throat and re-welded (bad job too, un-repairable) :-( ... so this one is going on the wall for sentimental and show purposes.

Cheers.
                      Jean-Luc

Comment

planes

the thing i look for now, is the light blue colour,i think they made these in the 60's and up, the ones i have seen are very poor quality.I am still searching for the elusive "bedrock"

Comment

Working...
                        X