Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to find saw sharpening files in Canada???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to find saw sharpening files in Canada???

I was on the LV website this morning and just realized that aside from the 7" Slim saw files I have been buying these past couple of years they don't have much sizes left for sale. I was looking for a much smaller one for my new 12 TPI... See http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...72,43089,69854

Anyone knows where to buy Nicholson, Grobet or any other brand of saw sharpening files in Ontario? Do you guys order online from the US? If so, which store?

Best regards

Matt from Kingston
    Last edited by scheol667; 10-26-2015, 10:30 AM.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Where to find saw sharpening files in Canada???

Ordered 5 of 4" Double Extra Slim Files over a week ago. The website said they had them in stock in limited supply but I have been informed last Friday that they are out and may possibly have some in about 4 weeks time. I spoke to customer service and was informed that the relationship between Grobet and Lee Valley has ended. They are currently looking for another supplier and as the saw files are a very popular product they will definitely be selling saw files again as soon as the new supplier has been lined up.
    My observation has been that in the last year of so, the Grobet's have been hit and miss. Some files lose their edges after a just a few teeth and others last for a couple saws. Keep your fingers crossed!

Comment

Originally posted by Officina View Post
      Ordered 5 of 4" Double Extra Slim Files over a week ago. The website said they had them in stock in limited supply but I have been informed last Friday that they are out and may possibly have some in about 4 weeks time. I spoke to customer service and was informed that the relationship between Grobet and Lee Valley has ended. They are currently looking for another supplier and as the saw files are a very popular product they will definitely be selling saw files again as soon as the new supplier has been lined up.
      My observation has been that in the last year of so, the Grobet's have been hit and miss. Some files lose their edges after a just a few teeth and others last for a couple saws. Keep your fingers crossed!
      That's great news. Thanks for sharing with us your info on this situation. Did you find an alternate source online?

Comment

Not in Canada. Paul Sellers recommends the Bahco line for those ii Europe but they are not available in North America from what I can gather. Nicholson (when you find them) saw files now are useless - you need about two files per saw! I'm hoping LV brings in Bahco as customer service said they were evaluating files from the other suppliers.

Comment

A couple of US sources. You can still get Nicholson from The Best Things. Tools for Working Wood reports that they have dropped Grobet because they stopped rebranding Vallorbe and went to other makers. TWW is going direct to Vallorbe for files, but adds that Vallorbe itself is changing its production, and so the future is uncertain.
          Jim

Comment

Try contacting Forum Member Brian Hollywood. He makes handsaws and I am assuming he must have the files to do so. He could be a good resoure.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

What about Pferd? I dont sharpen my own saws, but Ive gone to Pferd for metalworking and chainsaw files. Nicholson files are garbage now IMHO. Pferd are still very good quality. They have saw files, perhaps one might suit your needs? http://www.pferdusa.com/products/201b/201b03/index.html

Comment

Hi -

Just a quick note to say that we have sourced files to replace the Grobet. Stock is trickling in slowly...we have a few dozen of most sizes - missing only a 5" double extra slim. Not up on the web yet - as we don't want to generate back-orders, and we do not yet have adequate stocks to release for sale. The bulk of our orders will arrive the first week of January.

Wish I could be more helpful - but wanted you all to know that a solution is coming!

Cheers -

Rob

Comment

Thanks for that update Rob. Just got confirmation a couple hours ago that my order for the five 4" double extra slim has shipped.

Comment

Just noticed today on their website Lee Valley now carries Bahco saw files.

Comment

Working...
                    X