Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Show me your saws!

Hi everyone,
    Just thought I'd ask to see what kind of saws you guys use or have made. Planes are always fun to use but where would we be without saws eh? So let's see 'em! (I'm not at home right now, but I'll post a pic or 2 later on)
    Frank
    SPCHT
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Show me your saws!

Originally posted by Frank D. View Post
    Hi everyone,
    Just thought I'd ask to see what kind of saws you guys use or have made. Planes are always fun to use but where would we be without saws eh? So let's see 'em! (I'm not at home right now, but I'll post a pic or 2 later on)
    Hi Frank,

I just started a threat! We must be on the same wavelength this morning. I posted a couple of pics. I would love to see what others are using though.

Thank you for asking!

Best regards,

Ed

Comment

old saws

Hi Frank,

No shiny new $pendy saws here... just yer run-of-the-mill old tools.

Here is my handsaw rack. A mix of modern-ish (HK Porter), medium, and old saws. Even have some from Warren & Ted's Superior Saw Works. The one on the right hand side is a heavy Disston pruning saw with big pointy teeth. That one gets used once a year, to cut down a Christmas tree. I had better haul it out and sharpen it this weekend, eh?

And here are a few saws of the small-saw rack. Along the bottom is the cutest little Simonds tool-box saw. Very fancy etch on that one, works great crosscutting smaller stock at the bench. Top to bottom are my Tyzack and Sons & Turner dovetail saw (22 tpi for thin stock), then my J. Flint, St Catharines dovetail saw,circa 1880 (acquired at a garage sale for $2 <gloat>), R. Groves & Sons crosscut tenon saw, and finally a Spear & Jackson rip tenon saw.

Darrell
      Attached Files
      Wood Hoarder, Blade Sharpener, and Occasional Tool User

Comment

I only have pics of the Western back saws. Some may be of interest.

Here is my "saw tree", a quick-and-dirty storage system.

14" Nurse crosscut, 12" Disston #5 crosscut, re-handled S&J 10" crosscut, LN Independence dovetail, Independence Tools dovetail, and John Cotterill 8" dovetail. Crown gent saw on the wall, as are a couple of jeweller's saws or fret saws.

The LN Independence verses the Independence Tools dovetail saws (the latter being the saw that the LN is based on):

A close up of the S&J (with original handle):

Stanley #386 mitre saw (I plane to rehandle this one soon):

A stairsaw I made:

and a bowsaw for dovetails (more of an execise in design than a tool I use):

There are a couple of Disston rip saws (which I rarely use) and a couple of S&J crosscut panel saws (which I do use), the latter below:

.. and a few Japanese saws that lack pics.

Regards from Perth

Derek
        Last edited by derekcohen; 12-03-2006, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X