Paragon hand planes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paragon hand planes

I am interested to hear feedback on the quality and accuracy of the Paragon (pre Veritas) hand planes. Are they worth adding to the fleet?
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Paragon hand planes

I've only looked at one

I thought it was a good plane. It was probably made by clifton. Clifton planes sell for a fair buck and are pretty good planes.

Comment

Just picked up a mint Paragon #4 corrugated at an estate sale about a kilometre from LV headquarters. Found it by accident while looking for a box to put things in! The blade had never been touched. No rust and only tiny dings in the front and rear of the sole. I remember seeing the pretty British made planes in the first LV catalogue and thinking, wow, I'll never be able to afford those! Sharpened the blade and planed some pine. It's great for $20, but nothing extraordinary. I've got the blade cranked to the left so I get an even cut. I'll muck around with it. It's a good conversation piece too.

Comment

If my memory serves me right Paragon planes were made by Footprint in the UK in the 80/s for LV who may well have supplied them to Garret Wade in the US. They are essentially copies of the Stanley Bailey / Record line. Some may have had the two piece cap iron. Look for a little footprint on the casting
        Last edited by jay; 04-12-2018, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Probably will have some collector value down the road.

Comment

Working...
          X