Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Millers Falls 714 - I never knew I wanted one

Originally posted by Greg from K/W View Post
    Are the Tote and Front Knob plastic? I have to say I don't really like that idea.
    Yes, a plastic. Millers Falls marketed it as Tennessee Eastman tenite #2 and were guaranteed unbreakable in use.
    Measure twice, cut once ... and if that doesn't work try again

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Har! now you will be looking at the going down the MFia buckrogers slippery slope......totally cool...it was an attempt to -I believe- to transmogrify MF into the new tool age of power tools- which didn't work all that well

Now you will need the other plane, the brace, the hacksaw. the file/rasp floa, push drill etc which sport the same permaloid handles designed by huxtable

http://thevalleywoodworker.blogspot....ers-tools.html

Taken me years to accumlate what I've got and I'll observe yer typical neophyterhikenologist is so totally fixated on Satanly planes that they don't give a crap about much else

So just continue to "grok" their pleasing appearance and keep yer eyes open.

Myay the tool god shine on you

Eric

Comment

Ha, not likely going to happen. I'm not a collector and each tool I try has to "work out" for me. This 714 is working out (and not sitting on the shelf). It has a few features that the "Stanley" type handplanes lack. It's too bad that it has been relegated to collector status.
        Measure twice, cut once ... and if that doesn't work try again

Comment

If you like Millers Falls planes with bling, you'll like the Millers Falls No 209 De Luxe with its transparent Permaloid "unbreakable" plastic handles and abundance of chrome plating. (These were made in the 10yrs prior to the Buck Rogers planes)
          My example is scarred by the name engraving by Wm S Young of Warkworth Ont and stamp "CHS" (presumably Campbellford High School), but these "character features" put this plane in my cheap price range . The plane is a good user too, built solid and about 10% heavier than my Stanley No 4

Comment

very nice, if its ever for sale let me know. i have lots of planes but that is very sweet. thx dk

Comment

I like my 709 and 714. They get used more than my Stanleys.
              Art Shaw
              Woodworker, thinker, tool collector & tinkerer

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...
              Working...
              X