Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendations for a skilled person to re-cut saw teeth in a Disston No. 7 back saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for a skilled person to re-cut saw teeth in a Disston No. 7 back saw

I have a Disston No. 7 10" back saw that I'm cleaning up. The teeth on the saw that I bought were crazy with all different spacing. I've cleaned up the saw plate and jointed off the old teeth. Tried several methods in recutting the teeth and I think I'm just making a mess of it.

Any recommendations for someone in Canada who can recut the teeth in this saw? The rest of the saw is cleaned up to my satisfaction. I just need to have the teeth cut.

Thanks for any thoughts!

• Thread Continues Below...

Re: Recommendations for a skilled person to re-cut saw teeth in a Disston No. 7 back saw

FWIW, here is how the saw sits at the moment...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1397.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	4.78 MB
ID:	1264977
    Attached Files

Comment

Re: Recommendations for a skilled person to re-cut saw teeth in a Disston No. 7 back saw

Good luck
      Please post if you find someone

I have been looking for years and haven’t found anyone.

There used to be a saw maker in the gta who said he could do it.
      I fedexed him the saw and never heard from him or got it back.
      Thankfully it wasn’t anything expensive.

Nathan

Comment

Great Lakes Tool Works is located near Owen Sound. Pierre builds beautiful custom handsaws and certainly has the capability to retooth a saw. I don't know for sure if he offers that service, though. It might be worth an inquiry.
        https://greatlakestoolworks.ca/
        The difference between a master and a beginner: The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.

Comment

I sold a re-toother to a member here in Ottawa. Do not remember his name.
          Rob

Comment

Originally posted by iamtooler View Post
            I sold a re-toother to a member here in Ottawa. Do not remember his name.
            Rob
            I have a retoother but it wouldn’t be practical for a saw that small or that old. I would want the saw jointed and hand filed.
            Last edited by ErikM; 01-06-2020, 05:02 PM.
            Erik

Canada's Island Paradise - Prince Edward Island

Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Hi Peter, Thanks for the recommendation! I spoke with Pierre at Great Lakes Tool Works and he is willing to look at the saw and retouch/sharpen it. He is great to talk with and interested in all things saw related. I mentioned to him that I would post this as he might be a great resource for keeping hand saws tuned up.

Nathan, that really sucks about losing a saw like that. Pierre might be the solution you are looking for and he's pretty local. The saws on his website look beautiful.
              Last edited by SeanB01; 01-07-2020, 11:38 AM.
              nnieman likes this.

Comment

I am surprised there are not more people who can do this. When I took woodworking in college we had to bring in an old saw and file it smooth, and make new teeth, sharpen it and set it...It is not hard, it just takes patience.
                WCraig likes this.
                When someone tells you it can't be done, it's a reflection of their limitations, not yours.

Comment

I agree Lisa. For me, it's a skill that I am learning and developing over time. I just decided that this wasn't the saw on which to learn. I have another saw that needs attention that I don't mind learning with. From what I am seeing, if I'm going to use hand tools, i should know how to maintain them and keep them ready for work. But you also have to pick the tools that you are comfortable learning with.

Comment

Originally posted by Chimera View Post
                    I am surprised there are not more people who can do this. When I took woodworking in college we had to bring in an old saw and file it smooth, and make new teeth, sharpen it and set it...It is not hard, it just takes patience.
                    I can sharpen an old saw but I don’t know about filing new teeth.
                    I have never tried.

Nathan

Comment

Working...
                    X