Hammer a3-31

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hammer a3-31

Al, I have extensions for mine, one stays on the planer table so the pieces don't fall on the floor.

I also have extensions for the jointer infeed/outfeed which are shared with my saw/shaper, I almost never use them.

All of the extensions I have are the 16" long aluminum units...........Rod.
    Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I only have an extension on the planer table. Like Rod, I've never needed to use it on the jointer. You can easily joint boards up to 6' long and I've never needed to do longer stuff. You're going to enjoy using the Hammer, it is a nice machine...and in 50 years, it will be vintage iron
      the other Ken
      ------
      "Each flitch, each board, each plant can have only one ideal use. The woodworker, applying a thousand skills, must find that ideal use and then shape the wood to realize its true potential" - George Nakashima

Comment

Seller replied after I said there should be a sticker,now he's saying 2011

Comment

Sold my 8" poitras jointer and 15" general international planer tonight. Looks like it's going to cost me $250 difference for th hammer.
          hope I've done the right thing,I loved that poitras

Comment

So now this is turning into reality,I would like to know where in Canada,preferably Ontario do I shop for replacement knives? Does anyone have the slot mortiser attachment and what is your opinion of it? What is the price of the mortiser,I can't seem to find any info on this.
            thanks

Comment

Al, Felder is in Toronto, that's where you get replacement knives.

1745 Meyerside Drive Mississauga 905-670-9162

www.felder-group.ca

I use the Cobalt Knives, they last longer than the HSS knives. They come in a pack of 3 which gives you 2 edges............Rod.

P.S. part number is 500-07-002.

You can get prices from Felder.

I do not have the mortiser, I use a hollow chisel mortiser.

They're probably going to have a seminar on jointer/planers, as well as one on shapers and band saws during the next 12 months. They normally have a couple of open houses every year as well, where they offer discounts on machines and accessories............Well worth getting on their email list.
              Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 04-21-2017, 10:14 AM.

Comment

I asked about the mortiser for mine (A3-41). IIRC it was around a grand. The only thing about the mortiser is that you're moving the piece into the bit, not the other way around, so working with bigger pieces can be difficult and frustrating (trying to precisely attach a big piece of wood to the fairly small table and not have it wiggle around as you're mortising).
                Frank
                SPCHT

Comment

I have a mortiser for my C3 31. I was lucky enough to buy the mortiser used. Don't think it was ever used though. With the cutters and tax you are at about $1300 new (if not more with the value of our dollar). Personally, I don't think it is worth it. I think that there is a design flaw with it. To adjust the bed parallel with the cutter there is a bolt with a nut at the bottom of the mortiser. The bolt sits against the chassis of the J/P and pushes the mortiser away from the J/P as you screw the bolt in. However, as you use the "meter" long handle to push the workpiece into the cutter, the amount of leverage applied counters in the opposite direction at the set bolt. This results in the bottom of the mortiser tilting away from the chassis. As this occurs there is a lot of loud chatter at the bit and the bit is no longer cutting parallel to the bed of the mortiser.

In in my opinion, the adjusting bolt should be attached to the chassis of the J/P unit to prevent this from occurring.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Comment

Sounds like I'm best to stick with my hollow chisel mortiser.
                    the felder group site is not very helpful for someone who is curious about accessories and wants to purchase a set of knives

Comment

No it isn't. Your best bet is to register on the Felder U.S site and go to the online shopping section. The Canadian price will be about 30% higher. Once you know what you want, call Felder Canada in Mississauga and order the part. It will be shipped directly to you. Generally the don't carry many accessories at the shop.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
                        Al, Felder is in Toronto, that's where you get replacement knives.

1745 Meyerside Drive Mississauga 905-670-9162

www.felder-group.ca

I use the Cobalt Knives, they last longer than the HSS knives. They come in a pack of 3 which gives you 2 edges............Rod.

P.S. part number is 500-07-002.

You can get prices from Felder.

I do not have the mortiser, I use a hollow chisel mortiser.

They're probably going to have a seminar on jointer/planers, as well as one on shapers and band saws during the next 12 months. They normally have a couple of open houses every year as well, where they offer discounts on machines and accessories............Well worth getting on their email list.
                        I had 18% tungsten knives on my general international,can I expect the same quality and longevity out of the hammer cobalt knives?

Comment

As an alternative you can do what I do now and order your parts and accessories from Ken Green in Manitoba who was the original Canadian Felder dealer long before the Missisauga office. He has a great stock and selection.

https://www.feldercanada.com/

He has the stock that Mississauga should have since they are a direct factory sales office. They draw from him since they don't stock much of anything. Mississauga will charge you for the shipping anyway so might as well get it direct from the source.

John
                          Matt Matt likes this.

Comment

I also order my Felder accessories and replacement parts from Ken Green.
                            Much easier to deal with and less expensive.
                            Andy

Comment

Originally posted by al.m.. View Post
                              I had 18% tungsten knives on my general international,can I expect the same quality and longevity out of the hammer cobalt knives?
                              My experience is that the cut quality is better, don't remember anything about longevity so they must have been the same or better.....Rod.

Comment

Al while I haven't noticed a difference in cut quality from new HSS to new HSS cobalt knives they last at least 4 times longer and wood dependent longer than that. Below something you might find helpful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-s...ungsten_Steels

John

Comment

Working...
                                X